Coopers Community

Vinegar like taste

DavidP17

Iv got a fruit salad ale in the fermenter at the moment and i just had a taste while taking an SG reading

It tasted and smelled great when i tried it abuot 4 days into fermentation but now it has a kind of a sharp, vinegar like aftertaste and smell. (8 days in fermenter) has been fermenting at 20 degrees pitched at 24.

Will this come and go or is this batch ruined?

Acetobacter converts the ethanol to acetic acid.

Cut-and-paste from our FAQs:

Comment - from time to time a Brewer may experience an infected brew.

Fact - all non-commercial beer carries some level of infection.

Fortunately, infection is only apparent once the off flavours and aromas reach a certain threshold (perceivable level). Some of us are more sensitive to this than others.

An infected brew may produce the following symptoms:

1.Appearance; a scum ring inside the bottle and haziness (not due to yeast)

2.Aroma; vinegar, medicinal or solvent smell.

3.Taste; sour, sharp or harsh flavour.

Remedy - clean and sanitise all equipment that will come in contact with the brew to minimise the symptoms of infection.

The persitent krausen may have been a clue to the brew becoming spoiled.

Dang.. Cheers Paul ill give it a few more days in the fermenter i know its most likely ruined im just curious to see if it gets worse

Is this most likely from something not being clean in my fermenter? the weird thing is it smelled and tasted great when it was about 5 days into fermentation

The tree lopper bloke I made a batch or Wipper Snipper for had a bottle that had gone to almost pure vinegar, I found the problem it was a bottle cap wich had no seal. The beer had oxidised.

Warren

I thought it would taste more like wet cardboard rather ther vinegar. Maybe the lack of a seal allowed the airborne bug to get in which infected the brew.

I doubt an airborn bug Matty as I believe they tend to float around with the breeze (or no breeze) they can not float down under the lid then up to the top of the screw and around to work their way into the bottle.

An oxidized beer can taste like sherry, wet cardboard, lipstick, butter, popcorn, metalic, honey etc.

No need to worry when you drink it as nothing that can grow in your beer can hurt a human. However, you may end up crapping through the eye of a needle [crying]

Bill said,

An oxidized beer can taste like sherry, wet cardboard, lipstick, butter, popcorn, metalic, honey etc.

Seems like you would drink anything,Bill judging by the obvious practice you've had. The lipstick taste comes from the glasses the girls drink that Mexican stuff from[pinched]

Archived