Coopers Community

Mmmm problem??????

BrentW2

Hi guys im hoping you can guys either give me some advice or put my mind at ease. Im making the Blushing Blonde brew at the moment the problem is that just recently its been bloody cold here and where i normally keep my fermenter it has effected the temp of the brew which has dropped to around 17c for the last day or two.

I, worried that at this temp that the yeast has either gone to sleep or died. I have put hot water bottles around it to raise the temp and this has increased it to around 20c. Will this reactivate the yeast or shall i go by some more yeast and pitch it??

TIA

Brent

G'day brent.

I had a very similar problem with a Canadian Blonde recently.

Firstly take an S.G. reading so as you can establish whether or not your brew is "restarting". Test again in a couple of days so

as you can make a comparison. If your second test reads lower than the first then the yeast is obviously alive and well.

Mine was not so kind to me so I ended up pitching 3.5 grams of coopers ale yeast to get to the desired final gravity. The beer tasted fine at bottling but it is still to young for a tasting.

Good luck and be sure to put up a post to let us know how you went.

Well it seems to be fermenting, took a reading today and is at 1024 so will take readings over next day or 2 and keep you all updated. This is a brew ive been wanting to do for a while so i hope it works out.

On a better note i cracked open a bottle of Sparkling Ale to try that is just short of being bottled for 2 weeks (couldnt wait) while watching the All Blacks play the Australian school boys last night and damn its good, so good i drank 5 of them.

First time ive used a can of malt and i think i'll be throwing out my dextrose and BE2 and using malt from here on in.

On a better note i cracked open a bottle of Sparkling Ale to try that is just short of being bottled for 2 weeks (couldnt wait) while watching the All Blacks play the Australian school boys last night and damn its good, so good i drank 5 of them.

First time ive used a can of malt and i think i'll be throwing out my dextrose and BE2 and using malt from here on in.

Did you use the Sparkling Ale recipe on the Coopers How to Brew page OR did you make changes? Did you just use the kit yeast?

temp of the brew which has dropped to around 17c for the last day or two.

I, worried that at this temp that the yeast has either gone to sleep or died.

When the brew drops below the recommended ferment temp', the yeast activity will slow and yeast may fall out of suspension, but it won't kill the yeast...

Hi Brent,

At this time of year becauce I'm not heating my brewery the ambient temperature is around 15-16C. It has been this temperature since May. The temperature of the wort is always around 17c due to the kenetic energy of the yeast doing there thing. The time it takes for the brew the reach FG is a little longer but not much. Maybe a couple more days to a week.

I was a little worried about the lower tempertures at first but now I don't see it as a problem. In fact I think my beers have turned out better at this temperture.

Since the brewery has been this temperture I have used Cooper's Ale yeast, Cooper's Lager yeast, Cooper's Lager/Ale blend (mex. cervasa), Cooper's Recultured Yeast, and US-05 all with success.[cool]

Archived