Coopers Community

Got the Brew Fridge set up...Finally

WaynoW

Hey Guys,

Just got the brew fridge set up and running, Thanks to all who offered their excellent advice...The help I got here was amazing, especially when it came to temp control.

The STC-1000 was $16(ebay) and $20 sundries(Jaycar) = $36.

1 x Hour to wire up. Fired it up Sat..... Awesome!

Kids have moved out in the last year, hence the spare room is now a 'Brewery' [cool]

Hey Muddy.... recognise your patented ceramic light bulb 'plant pot' heater in the base of the fridge? [biggrin] (Alfoil under the lower FV to deflect heat)

Here's some photos....

P.s. temp was on its way to 18deg btw!

dscn2161j.jpg

dscn2165b.jpg

And ultimately, the end goal.....Yep, Labels Too!

dscn2166r.jpg

A frosty glass from the freezer, topped up with an Ale, Cheers........

coops.jpg[/size][/size]

Looks good Wayno. The only thing I would recommend now is to reinforce those shelves. Albeit, I am yet to do so but really should for insurance sakes.

You will think it is heaven now, being able to brew whatever you want at the touch of a button :)

I'm in the process of building yet another temp controller for my keezer. I will be wiring a power point in the controller so I can run a fan without having to find another power point.

Good work mate

Well done it looks very functional.

One little bit of advice I would give for the STC-1000 is do not change the settings with the load switched on. Mine worked great until I stupidly (in hindsight)decided to adjust the temperature while there was resistive load (only 50 watts) on the heat circuit.

It was in heat mode and turned on when I decided to change the temperature. Carked it instantly. I have a new one on the way and will never do any changes with the load (heat or cool) on or for that matter even plugged in. I will wait for it to reach temperature and turn off, then unplug the load circuits and then make the adjustment. Otherwise they are great little unit.

I know quite a few people who have these, I also have 2 and have not experienced that problem. Maybe you got a faulty one or it might have been coincidence that it died at the same time you changed the settings.....

Well done it looks very functional.

One little bit of advice I would give for the STC-1000 is do not change the settings with the load switched on. Mine worked great until I stupidly (in hindsight)decided to adjust the temperature while there was resistive load (only 50 watts) on the heat circuit.

It was in heat mode and turned on when I decided to change the temperature. Carked it instantly. I have a new one on the way and will never do any changes with the load (heat or cool) on or for that matter even plugged in. I will wait for it to reach temperature and turn off, then unplug the load circuits and then make the adjustment. Otherwise they are great little unit.

Never had that issue either and I mess with it all the time while turned on, dont be afraid to contact them and tell them the issue, Ive just recently contacted a seller of a similar unit and told him I was getting readings out by about 1'c or there abouts, he is sending me a new one even though I can adjust it to suit the difference (F4 calibrates the temp probe)

[love] my temp controllers... that will make 4 now... 2 in use and 2 spare!! [bandit]

Yob

Nice setup Wayno im very jealous.

Im in the process of trying to find a fridge to brew in, once iv got the fridge its no worries getting the rest off ebay and wiring it all up i just cant find a fridge!

How many litre is the fridge your using?

[w00t] airlockalertairlockalertairlockalertairlockalertairlockalertairlockalertairlockalertairlockalert[rightful]

Fridges look terrific. Very jealous. Mine are all very disorganised. I am still yet to set the bloody controller up, too!

Cheers all, I am really stoked with how its come together, next job (on the go at the moment) is a secondary fermentation cupboard and my second STC-1000 to run in it!

BillK.... thanks mate! I agree, those shelves are holding a bit of weight (and bowing a little), reinforcing them next weekend, I weld a bit, so all good there!

JohnM27.... Thanks for the advice on the setting changing! I think they're a little temperamental under load. Interesting, last night we had a 10second black out off/on and the STC was loaded up when it happened. Kept an eye on it and it wouldn't kick back in at low temp! I turned the unit off for 1/2 hour, then back on... all good... phew!

Hey NewtonClown, Cheers... I like the labels, I jst make them off the Coopers site label maker.... the biggest bitch is cutting them out! Here is a photo of the medium I use..... get it at any Officeworks...Its a perfect fit for the software that Coopers labels fit.. no adjusting anything, just Acrobat Reader & print!

dscn2170large.jpg

The labels dont come off easily, but in warm soapy water, they fall off, then a little Methylated Spirits on a rag, off comes the glue! I'll try to upload a shot of them..... hope this works?

dscn2177l.jpg

Yeah, its bloody me at Sovereign Hill [bandit]

These bottles are fresh out of fridge... thats why they look frosty, they are crystal clear when warm before chilling

DavidP17.... I was pretty lucky to find a fridge 'only' on GumTree the first week I started looking, Got it for $150... It's a 420ltr

H: 160cm X W: 70cm. (outside specs)

@ Trusty..... LOL Go the [alien] Airlock[alien] I Know I know [roll] [roll]

Yeah, Ive been reading the tap posts... Mine is 5 brews old, so keeping a close eye on the tap. I clean mine thoroughly and use the tiniest dab of EV Olive Oil on the inside, so smooth and free, but waiting for the leaks, like Im hearing on here! Am thinking I might drop in to Coopers in the coming days, as work down that way, have a chat to them in person! Maybe chuck a Tanty and lie down in their showromm stamping my feet and assume the fetal position demanding a new tap!!!!!!!!!!

Rant over.......that is all [sleeping]

Wayno

Never had that issue either and I mess with it all the time while turned on, dont be afraid to contact them and tell them the issue, Ive just recently contacted a seller of a similar unit and told him I was getting readings out by about 1'c or there abouts, he is sending me a new one even though I can adjust it to suit the difference (F4 calibrates the temp probe)

[love] my temp controllers... that will make 4 now... 2 in use and 2 spare!! [bandit]

Yob

They are so dirt cheap it is no big deal and I note that there is no warranty implied on the eBay selling page where I ordered a replacement. They basically imply you have seven days after delivery to advise of a failed item. Must say I have had a couple of problem items out of China on eBay and they replaced them without any drama. I would not have been surprised had it failed on inductive load such as fridge startup but in this instance it was only controlling a 50 watt resistive load. I will order a second one for back up and second tasking. They are a great little unit when they work.

I didn't realise there was a label maker on the site. I thought that was ditched when "The Order" ([pinched] )came into being.

It works well for me......

http://www.coopers.com.au/#/the-order/the-brewers-guild/label-maker

Allows me to keep track of the brews. Up to 6 labels so far! The boys come round for BBQ, darts and 8 ball a bit and are impressed, and also reckon I should 'get a life' LOL [biggrin]

Give as good too though [devil]

Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth on the label topic, I tried a few different methods but found the cheapest and simplist way to do thjem is to just print them out on standard A4 paper cut them out and use a glue stick to stick them onto the bottles.

with a little hot water the glue comes off real easy

Archived