Coopers Community

Winter and Australian Pale Ale

Beer Loving Trent

Hi all, I have been informed not to brew ales in winter due to the colder weather, but I'm keen to pitch a batch of Australian Pale Ale tomorrow. keeping in mind I keep my FV warm using a sleeping bag & hand made quilt(Mum would kill me if she found that out lol[bandit])

Thoughts please

I don't see any problem as long as you keep it at the correct temp. I brew ales all year round and use an old fridge with a light bulb connected to a thermostat to regulate the temp. Once it's bottled I put the bottles in the fridge at 18 deg for secondary fermentation.

You can brew ales all year round as long as you can maintain the desired temps (without large fluctuations).

Same goes for lagers.

With the ale just make sure you can at least warm it up to around 17-18 degrees and keep it there.

I've found it to be much easier to brew in winter than in summer. Th temperature inside my house is sitting around 16C at the moment, but the brew temperature is around 18-20C, which is just right. The fermentation will produce some heat which will help keep the brew a little warmer. If it does get too cold, just wrap a blanket around the fermenter. Should work out perfectly!

If the temperatures are just too cold, then just brew a European Lager or another kit with a true lager yeast, as this yeast is intended for use at cooler temperatures.

That's what I thought although I brew, in a cupboard, in my shed in the back yard,I just finished bottling my second batch of Mexican Cerveza and noticed the temp was about 12 -13 degrees, but we did just a few cold days. I wrap a sleeping bag & quilt around it for a week, then swap it to three flanette style shirts for the second week, becaus eI put the sleeping bag & quilt onto the batch newest batch I pitch.

The best thing you can do for your brew is get a fridge/freezer and a temp controller. I can brew whatever I want and whenever I want at the touch of a button. Nevertheless, provided you can keep your temps at the required temperature then there is no problem to brew whatever it is you want to brew.

APA yeast has a blend of both ale and lager strains, so if the temp drops below 16-18 it's not as critical as if brewing a beer with just an ale strain, like the original series cans.

everything the others have said about some kind of temp controll is correct, too.

I brew in the laundry. With house heating temp always hangs around 18 d which is fine for a safale 05 which will brew down to 15. Kit yeast I prefer to have no lower than 18 and no higher than 22 if possible. Winter is the best time to brew IMHO.

lol when I am in the laundry washing kegs I usually take a jug and 2 cigarettes with me and she's all done by the time I am finished. Although I will admit the few times I haven't the job is 2x-3x quicker [pinched]

It is a bit more complicated than that Bill. Brewing in the laundry is great if you want to clean clothes at the same time whereas brewing in the kitchen would be more effective if you tend to snack (or drink) when brewing.

I have a double garage in my back yard aka The Shed. No cars are parked in it because of my dog and the gate being to far from the garage. My shed is my brewery, gym, barbeque pit, has a stereo a fridge for keeping my beer cold for drinking. I bottle on the old dining room table, , it has a sofa bed, many chairs two cupboards, one for my 2 fv's one for storing my bottle & boxed beers, which is chockers and now I am starting to pallettise my boxes that don't fit in the fridge, I play my music loud up there and I've had my wife complain I play it to loud. All in all I love my shed

Archived