Coopers Community

new receipe

DavidB25

Hey Guys, I'm ready to try my fourth brew and would appreciate your input. I've successfuly completed: Aust Larger, IPA & Aust Stout(currently aging). After reading lots of "blogs" and receipes from this website over the last several months I'm ready to try a brew with a little "punch" to it:

1.7k Coopers Aust Larger

1.5k Coopers Light Malt Extract

1.0K Coopers Dextrose

1.0K local honey

2pkgs of yeast

23L of water

Using a Coopers brewing fermenter.

Yours thoughts are appreciated.

1kg each of dextrose & honey is a touch much. If the honey is added to the boil kettle,it'll ferment out too much. The combination of the 2 will make for a drier brew. That's fine,if that is your intention.

Otherwise,I'd at least add the honey in secondary,or towards the end of primary to keep some of the honey flavor.

You could even leave out the honey,& steep 8oz (226.8g) of honey malt (make sure it's cracked 1st)in 1L of water at 160F (about 71C) for 30 minutes. This will give you more honey flavor than the real thing without drying your beer.

David, the Coopers Lager kit that you are using, is that the original series lager?

If so, the yeast that comes with that kit is an ale yeast.

If your intention is to make a lager then I would go with the Wyeast lager yeast.

The Wyeast website states that the Activator packs are sufficient for worts up to an SG of 1.060.

You were planning on making a mighty brew so you may have to make a starter and step it up a little.

Thanks again Hairy and to BillK for the advice...I will cut back on the dextrose instead of the malt. I'm sure this will produce a much more satisfying beer rather than one with a "punch" that may not be "drinkable"?

Hey Hairy, just curious as to why the Coopers Lager Kit comes with an "ale" yeast instead of a Lager yeast?!!! Does this turn it into a "Ale/Lager" instead of a "pure" lager? Or does it turn into an Ale and not a lager at all? WTF?

That's probably a question for PB2. I guess its because most new brewers start with that kit and they may struggle with temp control. The ale yeast ferments at higher temperatures.

If you are using an ale yeast with the kit then you are making an ale.

Here is a link to the yeasts in each kit.

Coopers Kit Yeast

The fact that the Lager kit comes with an Ale yeast is a conundrum that constantly rears it's ugly head here and just about anywhere else Coopers is discussed.

I believe the rationale behind confusingly offering an ale yeast with the OS Lager is that the average Australian Joe Blow brewer will find it hard to brew a true lager at true lager temps due to our climate.

There we go - Clear as mud [lol]

The fact that the Lager kit comes with an Ale yeast is a conundrum that constantly rears it's ugly head here and just about anywhere else Coopers is discussed.

I believe the rationale behind confusingly offering an ale yeast with the OS Lager is that the average Australian Joe Blow brewer will find it hard to brew a true lager at true lager temps due to our climate.

There we go - Clear as mud [lol]

Wouldn't be a problem here in winter, my bedroom gets down to 10 degrees if I let it!

Archived