Coopers Community

Sediment in my fermenter

jeffm5

I'm a new brewer and my first batch has been sitting for about 2 days and there is a lot of sediment in the bottom of my fermenter. Is this normal? I'm worried I may not have mixed it well enough or something.

It is perfectly normal and is mainly the cold break. Refer to the FAQ link below for some info on it.

FAQ

Also, not properly mixing won't hurt the brew. Your Starting gravity reading may be out but it will still all ferment.

All the best with your new hobby. It's quite addictive.[cool]

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I've got a similar issue, I've made a few batches but forgot to seal my latest one tightly; after a few days I noticed a quite patches of brown specs on top of the wort which might be yeast sediment.

I've sealed it tight now but what do you reckon, should I lash it or not?

cheers

I've got a similar issue, I've made a few batches but forgot to seal my latest one tightly; after a few days I noticed a quite patches of brown specs on top of the wort which might be yeast sediment.

I've sealed it tight now but what do you reckon, should I lash it or not?

James - It doesn't need to be sealed just covered. A lot of us around here toss out the lid (and the airlock [pinched] ) and just out a piece of glad wrap over the top secured with the o-ring from the lid.

Whatever you do don't tip it out - It sounds like a perfectly normal fermentation to me.

A lot of us around here toss out the lid (and the airlock [pinched] ) and just out a piece of glad wrap over the top secured with the o-ring from the lid.

Do you guys ever have issues with fruit flies with that method? I really want to completely rid myself of the airlock but during warm months here in the US I have to deal with the presence of tiny flying things that love wort.

Hi Joel,

Welcome to the Guild![cool]

The Gladwrap method will keep out the fruit flies. It allows you to peek at the brew without lifting the lid so no flies can get in. I find FF to be a pain in the ass during the summer months, too. I try to keep the brewery clean and mopped regularly, the bottles rinsed and hang some fly tape near the FV and the issue is not a problem.

Chad

Hi Joel,

Welcome to the Guild![cool]

The Gladwrap method will keep out the fruit flies. It allows you to peek at the brew without lifting the lid so no flies can get in. I find FF to be a pain in the ass during the summer months, too. I try to keep the brewery clean and mopped regularly, the bottles rinsed and hang some fly tape near the FV and the issue is not a problem.

Chad

Thank you very much, this is a great community from what I have gathered so far.

Now that I have thoroughly de-railed this thread, let me ask one more question. With the lid's o-ring, you can keep the crawlies out, so that is good. Can air still escape without puncturing the wrap? After having to deal with blowoff in my spare bathtub I have a great interest in this. [biggrin]

Can air still escape without puncturing the wrap? After having to deal with blowoff in my spare bathtub I have a great interest in this. [biggrin]

short answer = yes [joyful] and a lot of people are being converted to the glad/cling wrap method.

Excellent, thank you guys for the input on the matter. I will try it on my next batch and see how it turns out.

One more question though, have you ever had krausen leak out from under the wrap? Are there any blowoff precautions to take when you expect it could be an issue?

Archived