Coopers Community

Re-useable bottles

George J

I have hunted through the forum but cannot find an answer to this question so apologies if it is being repeated.

I have started looking for glass bottles for my brews because spending 70 bucks on PET bottles for each brew is getting SWMBO a bit cranky.

So my question is:

1. Can Cooper's Sparkling Ale stubby bottles be used for homebrewing? (i see that the sparkling ale is bottle conditioned so I assume, Yes)

2. Can Corona bottles be used? (provided they are kept out of light while conditioning).

3. When the bottle can be returned for a refund, does that mean it is a re-useable one?

If you guys could post what bottles can be used, I think this thread might be a useful resource for others with the same question as me.

Thanks

These bottles have been used by the gurus on here:

Coopers Stubbies

Tooheys Stubbies

Paulaner

Franziskaner

Michelob amber bock

Sam Adams

Sierra Nevada

Sapporo

Dog Fish Head

Rogue

Thirsty Dog

Smuttynose

I use any beer bottles that have a crown seal.

I have 6 or 7 milk crates full of Coopers Stubbies, a few clear bottles etc.

They do however say not to reuse and Coopers will say not to use them as they are not designed for homebrew and are more prone to bottle bombs if all the steps arnt correctly followed.

My tip is to make sure it is finished fermenting and don't overprime. The best bottles to use are the Coopers longnecks as they are designed for homebrew.

Also when I buy PETs it is only $30 per brew and you are able to reuse them as well.

I am guessing his LHBS is putting a bit extra on top.

I don't use much plastic anymore, only because I am trying to get in the habbit of storing for 6 months before drinking.

But if I know I will be drinking the beer earlier, my Plastic bottles get used.

Thanks for the responses guys..

So a crown seal but not a twist top, right? I use carbonation drops so dont expect that i will over prime them.

The PETs i but are boxes of 15 bottles for NZD 35 each. that works out to 70 kiwi dollars a brew![crying]

A definate at your own risk sort of thing. I probably have 25 Milkcrates full of Tooheys and Coopers Stubbies (which are both screw tops) and havent had an issue yet.

In saying this, I always make sure fermentation is finished before bottling and I never over prime.

good to hear this from experienced brewers. I am confident that i bottle only after fermentation is complete because all my brews are in FV for 3 weeks before bottling. And I believe that my hydrometer is my friend. [biggrin]

Also I use Coopers carbonation drops so dont expect over priming to be an issue..

Your good to go.

You just need to collect some glass bottles.

Another thing that I had an issue with (this maybe just me) was that after using the boxes the beer came in after one or two brews they got crappy and would fall apart. I sourced some Milkcrates and this problem was fixed.

yeah, same here.. those boxes last me a couple of brews and then fall apart.

I am now up to my 9th and 10th brews in FV so need to stop using expensive PET bottles.. man, I wish i had never thrown out all those beer bottles i drank before i got into HB

Beautiful collection there Paul.

I am starting to collect those for my recultured yeast now.

I wanted some longnecks for homebrew to buy them it was going to cost $4 a bottle. I currently have Sparkling on special for $5 a longneck, have a guess which way I went [joyful]

I'm gonna have a hunt around here for those bottles Paul. they look gorgeous [biggrin]

Thanks for that Leonard. I have edited my original post to include all those names.

Your kidding Scott!!?!?? I have been to Bin Inn here as well as another HB shop and both of them charge NZD 35 for a case of 15 PET bottles. Whats the LBHS you go to? maybe I can order the glass bottles from them.

I also prefer glass, but the plastic bottles are just way to easy to use. Putting the tops on them is far easier then capping the glass bottles.

I should move to kegging. That would make the bottling process a hell of alot faster and easier.

Wow! thanks for the link Scott. you weren't kidding when you said 17 bucks for the PET bottles. All my gear is gonna be from that site from now on. I'm based in Hastings.

I agree Matty, plastic is quite easy to use. and when ur a clumsy oaf like me, at least plastic doesn't break! [lol] I want to try glass bottles only because I would like to store some bottles for a year or more..

Fancy Glass bottles also look a lot nicer when you have company over as well.

My father almost refuses to drink out of the plastic as beer isn't supposed to be in plastic but when I pull out some fancy nice glass bottles, you can just see his eyes light up.

Archived