Coopers Community

foaming through the air lock ?

MartinC

Hi all,

Ive just put down a coopers wheat beer with wheat malt extract. Its foamed up and leaking out of the air lock.

Do I leave it as is, or open the fermenter and remove some of the foam and re seal ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards Martin.

better still, fit a hose to the airlock hole and leed it to a sanitised bottle of cooled boiled water... during High Krausen.. this is the healthiest yeast to collect and re-use and be ready to put into a starter for your next brew..

makes buying yeat well cheap too!![innocent]

I think you may find some people like to keep the krausen in the beer. I have tried both and don't notice the differance although I remember Paul (PB2) saying that he would let it collapse into the brew.

if you have an overactive krausen and it's coming out anyway, the hose method is perfectly acceptable, IMO... just replace the airlock when high krausen is over and the beast returns to normal.. saves a cleanup and you get toy reuse the resulting captured yeast.[ninja]

thanks for the feedback,

What I ended up doing was taking ozzi's advise and tapping a small length of plastic tube onto the airlock and collecting it into a bucket (not for reuse of yeast) this collected the mess and kept the fermenter clean'ish, now that the overactive krausen has calmed down I cleaned the airlock and were burping as normal..

thanks..

Regards Martin.

We call the hose set up a "blow off". But that's what I'm going to rig up the next time I use a starter. Starters tend to make the yeast go nuts in a very short time. I think 1/2" (12.7mm)tubing would fit the riser in the middle of the airlock.

I thought this would be the easiest way to do it,since all you have to do when it dies down is to remove the hose,replace the center part, fill & re-cap the airlock.

This is one of the advantages of the DIY Beer Kit FV. These shots were taken minutes apart:

Before - Crusty ring thrown from krausen

vsjf.th.jpg After - Krausen Kollar removed, crusty ring gone yair.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well after the excessive forming the final gravity was 1.014, so I'm guessing with some of the yeast stuck to the sides and lid as well as losing some out the airlock the final gravity could not be reduced further. I bottled it as is, and I'll test to see what its like in 4 weeks.

If I added more yeast would that help reduce the final gravity? and improve the alcohol level

Regards Martin.

Well a lot of it is stuck to the fridge wall and pooling in the vege crisper but I wont be tasting that [lol]

I'm taking periodic photos of the volcano so I'll post them in a few days. As for how the final product turns out, I'll be stowing them away for a year or 5 but maybe I'll have a taste at the 6 month mark.

Well after the excessive forming the final gravity was 1.014, so I'm guessing with some of the yeast stuck to the sides and lid as well as losing some out the airlock the final gravity could not be reduced further. I bottled it as is, and I'll test to see what its like in 4 weeks.

If I added more yeast would that help reduce the final gravity? and improve the alcohol level

Regards Martin.

No need for more yeast. The ales I brewed with starters get down near FG very quickly. It can take another week or so to go down more. Albeit slowly,since the wild initial fermentation is done.

The finishing ferment always takes the longest,patience is key here. It'll go down a little more if left to it's own devices.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my 3rd SMOTY Ale get volcanic. The only night I've been out until the following afternoon since my son was born with a brew going and this happens [devil]

Anyway, I have just cleaned up around the fermenter and washed out the airlock and replaced it with clean water. It's still bubbling away. Will it still be ok and not potentially infected? It basically didn't have an airlock for up to 16 hrs. Can't be sure how long.

It is still bubbling along well now though. And I am eagerly awaiting the FG so I can bottle it. Just thought I'd ask here first in case I should just throw it out instead. Any thoughts?

P.S. Muddy, I have now just put down a Spirit of Anzac Ale in my other fermenter with the glad wrap (no airlock) method following this.

You'll be right mate...all sounds good. Infection is possible but unlikely. As it is happily bubbling away you can rest easy but for the love of good make sure you let us know if it stops bubbling...or doesn't...[innocent]

There is a certain poetic symetry (sp?) that you are using glad wrap on your ANZAC Ale - The can-do spirit without the BS [biggrin]

Archived