Coopers Community

Temp controller and gauge STC1000

Davidt15

Bought a couple of the electronic gauges STC 1000 with built in relays as discussed b4 on this forum. Remember soe saying they were going to post how they had it wired up but can not for the life of me find the thread.

i see the unit needs to be mounted into another box and input and output plugs wired. Any suggestions if that got posted if so which thread.

Cheers

David.

Have a look on AHB David, they may have some diagrams. Otherwise have a look at various tempmate diagrams on the same site for wiring a Tempmate as it is the same principal.

I always feel obliged to point out that if you aren't sure what you are doing make sure an electrician checks (or does) your wiring before you plug it in. Better safe than dead.

David, I am no electrician and recommend that if you are not comfortable playing with 240v ciruits then you should ask a sparky to do it. Nevertheless, it will be easier to source most items needed from Jaycar as it is almost a one stop shop for what you need.

You will need:

1 x Jiffy Box

3 x BP Connectors or something similar. I used these.

2 x female flush mount power inputs. (Like a power point plug, sorry don't have link)

1 x 3m power cord

Here is an easy to follow Wire Diagram

compliments from a poster at AHB and I suggest using the same color wires exactly as in the diagram, just cut them from your power cord:

When I make my next one I am going to use a Male Chassis Power Plug for power and a head phone jack to connect the probe. This way I can have just a box with no cords coming from it.

THIS is the thread on AHB... it's quite long now, 16 pages or something, but well worth the read through, many of the issues you will face have been nutted out here and there are plenty of examples of how they have been constructed. Loads of photo's and stuff.

as above, if you are not comfortable with 240v have a sparkie look it over and make sure you get a rated electrical insulated box to mount it in. I have 3 of these now (1 spare just in case of failure) and would not brew without one now. Wired and mounted them myself[love] (my old man is a sparkie though so Im pretty handy with a screwdriver)[innocent]

enjoy and good luck, you have made one of the greatest leaps here for your future brews!![cool]

Wonderful thanks for all the info. Have decided to put leads for all three mains power feeds so it will allow me to mount the reader where ever I want, plus keep it up and away for any potenail spills. Willpost a pick when done. Just bought some cheap extenstion leads while at Jaycar and use those, perfect sealed plugs already attached for less than the cost of one femail flush mounted.

I recenty bought a stc 1000 i wired mine up myself it was fairly easy to do they come with a wiring diagram. I didnt use a condut box or anything there is all small cover on the back of the unit that covers up the wires. I didnt need and extra plug you can get power supply from the fridge itself. Mine just sits on top of the Fridge i didnt think mounting it in the door would be a good idea i just used a 12v down light as the heater in a glass jar that i painted black I have done 4 brews in it now and have not had a problem it works great. but as muddy said if your not confident doing it its probably not worth the risk

I recenty bought a stc 1000 i wired mine up myself it was fairly easy to do they come with a wiring diagram. I didnt use a condut box or anything there is all small cover on the back of the unit that covers up the wires. I didnt need and extra plug you can get power supply from the fridge itself. Mine just sits on top of the Fridge i didnt think mounting it in the door would be a good idea i just used a 12v down light as the heater in a glass jar that i painted black I have done 4 brews in it now and have not had a problem it works great. but as muddy said if your not confident doing it its probably not worth the risk

This is one of the reasons why you should get a sparky to check over it. I would NEVER do it this way and in fact recommend nobody else to. Sorry Benken, even though this works it is just stupid in my opinion and I really hope I never see you in the Darwin awards [crying].

Please please please, for your own and family/loved ones safety, at least get a jiffy box. For a few dollars more it really isn't worth taking the risk.

this frightens the sh_t out of me...

how is it earthed?

If you have a problem here you may find that your whole fridge is live and you can kiss your ass goodbye... what happens if the bloody thing gets wet?

electricity = very dangerous

safety = peace of mind knowing that nobody can get electrocuted

most people here will agree that insulating the STC which has 240v running through it is a must.

certainly is in my house and my old man (retired sparkie) would kick my arse if I did it any different...

Yob

A lot of people unfortunately do not realize that for the sake of spending less than $10 and taking an extra 15 minutes work they would have a better product but most importantly, a huge increase in safety.

After reading this again, I almost feel sick just thinking of the inevitable [crying]

sorry i might not have explained it properly ihe connections where all made at the back of the fridge not inside. the controller does not need and earth and the fridge is earthed through the power point i have a sparky mate who i talked to about it befor i did it he said it sounded fine next time he is around i will get him to check it i will ask him about the box

Please do get him to check it mate. It would be sad not having you around here anymore. Both heating and cooling female plugs should be earthed, which I am asuming you have done.

The jiffy box ensures more safety than just the STC1000 with it's cover over the wires. All you need is a wire to break or fall out and that's the end of it. We don't want that to happen, that's for sure. That's just one expample, but please for what it is worth, you should really get a box to put it in and honestly, if your sparky friend does not tell you the same then I would be questioning his abilities as an electrician. Anyhow, I have harped on enough now and what you do is obviously up to you.

Archived