Coopers Community

new at brewing

daniels20

about to bottle my first beer on tuesday notice alittle white oily film on top in fermenter is that a infection?..i took a sample to the sg,when i finished testing it i poured back the remander back into the barrel,should i have done that?[unsure]

Hi Daniel.. first of all - NEVER pour the test sample back into the fermenter. [crying] once you have pitched your yeast, it is safest to keep things out of the wort or risk infection.

I am not sure what you mean by an oily film, but how did the sample taste and smell? as long as it hasn't gone sour or smell funky, you should be good..

I agree with George but I'll say it bigger...NEVER pour the test sample back into the fermenter.. You're dancing with danger there [rightful]

Drink your sample or tip it out - I recommend drinking at least some of it as this will educate you in how the beer progresses.

I'm also not sure about the oily film bit. A whitish layer is sometimes evident.

Most importantly how does it taste and smell?

NEVER pour the test sample back into the fermenter.. You're dancing with danger there [rightful]

Drink your sample or tip it out - I recommend drinking at least some of it as this will educate you in how the beer progresses.

Oh dear.... I bet you won't do that again! [alien]

Taste the sample and smell it. If it seems ok you may have dodged a bullet. If not then you'll know not to do that next time.

hope i havent stuffed up it more of a whitish layer what is evident mean ????? ok thanks guys will get back to u all about tast and smell well we learn something new every day [unsure] [crying]

Welcome to the Forums Daniel.

Hope all is well with your brew but I am guessing that it is fine. Give it a taste and smell and if it resembles beer, it is probably OK. Although if you can taste vinegar or if it tastes and smells terrible you may need to tip it out.

Hey Daniel, evident means... many a time I have had a thin white film and panic about it, but when you get a REAL contamination film, you will know cos it looks ugly, and you wouldn't even want to put your finger in there!

Hope your beer is ok, having put the test sample back in, you will never know now what caused the contamination, if any, but chances are your beer is ok.

That's why I always put the hydrometer in the tube,& fill it with star-san solution. Interesting how raw star-san is like a clear syrup. So,anyway,I let it sit for a min or so,then dump the solution back in the jug. Then take my test sample. I do that all the time,but only the 1st one goes back in the FV. After 2 weeks comes sample #2 to see if FG target is reached/close. Drink that one. As long as hydrometer & tube are clean & sanitized,that 1st sample can go back in with complete safety. It's not like it's outside the FV for very long at all. I've also been told that star-san is a yeast nutrient.?...

Yes Starsan is a yeast nutrient. However, I read somewhere that Starsan needs to be used at the correct dosage or the required effect is negated. I can't remember where I read this now sorry but for the fact of only 1.5 mls per litre that is buggar all to use. Rather than pouring the starsan in the tube I would just spray it with the diluted solution and you only need a 30 second contact time for effect.

Although you have not experienced any problem to date, the sample in your tube has been exposed to oxygen when you put it in and again when you take it out which is not a very good idea imo.

It's not exposed to very much oxygen at all,since the hydrometer tube's surface area is so small. And since the yeast hasn't been pitched yet (1st hydrometer OG test),you want some O2 in there. No worries,m8,I've done it before. But just on the OG test,as stated. [cool]

It's not exposed to very much oxygen at all' date='since the hydrometer tube's surface area is so small. And since the yeast hasn't been pitched yet (1st hydrometer OG test),you want some O2 in there. No worries,m8,I've done it before. But just on the OG test,as stated. [cool']

Yep, my bad. I didn't comprehend it as only the OG and just assumed it was on all gravity readings.[pinched]

I would be still inclined to drink it or tip it out. It just seems alot easier to waste 100ml then to worry about sanitising another tube plus hydrometer and then when you toss it back in the FV you could have still caused infection etc.

I try to reduce the risks as much as possible and this seems like one of the easiest to reduce.

Archived