Coopers Community

lil bottler leaking like a sieve

Soundawake

Hi there,

Just doing my first bottling, and I've inserted the little bottler and opened the tap, and its dripping like mad at the bottom of the bottler. Is this normal? On the instructional video it doesn't!!

The bottling valve may leak if the little blue poppet is not sitting squarely. Often fixed by giving the poppet a tap upward to reseat it. Otherwise, there may be plastic dags, left over from the injection moulding process, preventing the components from seating together.

Also check that the oring (on the poppet) is not missing/damaged.

The design is not intended to be perfectly drip free but the brew should not run out in a constant stream either.

I've had a good look at it, nothing untoward can be seen from taking it apart. The o ring is fine. I'm pretty sure there's some sort of defect though as no company in their right mind would put a product to market with the amount that this thing is dripping... its a fairly fast constant drip. I had to put a saucepan underneath to catch the leak. There's no spring though... should there be a spring? Seems like it would warrant a spring.

Not to worry, off to Brewcraft to buy a decent one.

I've got a Brigalow cheapie, the olny time it leaks is if towards the end of the bottling, sometimes a bit of hops gets under the seat. Mine dosn't have an o ring. It drips all the time but this is beer running down the outside of the stem, beer that wet it while bottling. Had one with a spring,,was a pane in the bum. What you have to do with the Brigalow ones is glue the bits that come apart together. I've had them fall apart, but not now.

Weggl

Mine came with my "Wander" FV kit , it doesn't have a spring & yes it has always leaked so I put a folded towel under it & turn the tap off between each filling as I cap one at a time.

Not to worry' date=' off to Brewcraft to buy a decent one.[/quote']

I daresay if it is defective the manufacturer would replace it. I'd give them a call if I was you.

There shouldn't be a spring as the weight of the beer should close the valve. If it is getting stuck it shouldn't be hard to fix if you have a spare 5 mins.

Mine drips slightly but the dripping is also caused by it being immersed in the bottle while filling. I put a bucket under it while bottling & I would lose approx 50ml out of the 23 litres, hardly worth worrying about.

If there is a "dag" on the plastic parts from the injection moulding process it would only take about 2 minutes & a sharp knife to fix it.

Archived