Coopers Community

Aging temperatures

Canadian Eh!L

i was wondering at what temp. does everyone age their brews?

i do the standard two weeks at 18C or warmer, when the carbonation level is right i move the whole batch to the cold room (4-10C) for the long term. am i slowing the aging process by aging it at such a low temp?

all the beers coming out of the brewery these days are tasting great at 1 month. i just wonder if they could be better.[bandit]

Mine really are not around long enough to age [annoyed]

The over run from the kegs go to bottles and they are stored for about 2-3 weeks in the wardrobe in the bedroom (around ~16C-~20C) then moved to the store room. It would probably be around ~14-16C in there. That is where they stay until they go to the fridge to chill before drinking. I have not succeeded in leaving any bottles for longer than 2 months yet.

Hi Chad , Like Bill , I'm struggling to still have a bottle left after 3 wks but definately try to leave it cellared @ around 18 deg & only chill it before you want to drink it.

I keep mine in a cupboard in the laundry & put a few keepers in the built in wardrobe.I have been told you can cellar some varieties of beer up to 2 years but so far my record is about 5 wks...[devil] (I'm in the process of ramping up my bottle numbers..) [happy]

Brother in law once told me he cellared a carton of sparkling ale for 5 yrs & it tasted amazing.. Does this sound believable Paul (PB2)? Or was he just trying to get under my skin??[lol]

Damo

It sounds beleivable to me, most people cellar Vintage Ale but some like to age their Sparkling Ale. Generally speaking darker beers (Stouts/dark ales etc.) and high alcohol beers benefit from cellaring for 2 years and beyond (bottle in glass when you want to keep your beer more than a year).

Hi Muddy & thanks for that. I have another real ale in the fermenter @ the moment & plan on doing a dark ale next.

I am only using glass bottles @ the moment as I'm a bit of a tradionalist & love pouring a frosty from a good o'l long neck.

How do the 2 ales compare ?

Should I be using my brew belt on the fermenter for the dark ale as the nights here are starting get down to about 14 deg ?

Cheers

Damo

wow! i've been wonder about this for a long time. there never seems to be a definitive answer in any of the literature i've read. unfortunatly i've been "cold lagering" my brews without even meaning to.

so recap:

ferment 14 days @ 21C

bottle condition 14 days @+18C

age (cellar) @ 14-18C for 2 years[sideways]

i'm still a little confused as to when i get to store them in my cellar (4-10C) is this only after 2 years.[pinched]

what about all the beers i've been "cold lagering" for weeks (months) now? would they benefit if i pulled them out of cold storage and aged them @ 14C?

where is the advantage of having cellaring temps. of 4-10C if the beer ages faster at a higher temperature. is it because i can chill more down than the average guy?

i'm cunsufed![annoyed]

Average gravity beers carbonate/condition well in 3-4 weeks at 20C. then put'em in the fridge for 5-6 days to clear,& force more CO2 in the head space into solution. Look at my pale ale thread for a pic of my latest,"Summer Pale" ale. I think you'll agree,this method works.[love]

Archived