Coopers Community

What does infection in the bottle look like?

SteveL

Is it a fine white-ish ring in the neck of the bottle (at the upper level of beer)?

Am fearing an Anzac Ale is infected, everything looked normal during fermentation and bottling, but a month or so later, all the bottles have this slight white-ish ring.

Tasted one and didn't enjoy it, had to tip it out [crying]

Have never had an infected batch so not sure if the ring is a visible sign of badness...

The appearance sounds like possible infection.

C'mon Steve - a bit more description than "tasted one and didn't enjoy it" is required - what does it look like in the glass, what does it smell and taste like? [sideways].

Also, did you notice anything odd about the smell and taste when you bottled it?

Yes, sorry Paul, realise info was extremely vague[pinched]

Batch was bottled 31/1/11. Tasted one 16/3 which was tipped out...but now am having another. Appearance in the glass is normal, well carbed, has a fruity aroma from the Nelson Sauvin. And it actually tastes okay, none of the acidic-type aftertaste noted on 16/3...Still had slight white ring around neck of bottle but doesn't taste bad at all...definitely drinkable. Maybe I was worried for nothing??[surprised Here's hoping anyway...

the acidic taste and the white ring still doesn't sound good to me. If that was my beer that one would be an early drinker. The reason I would drink it early is because if there is an infection in the beer, I would be drinking the beer before it made it undrinkable.

Steve, if the second tasted ok maybe you had 1 bottle that had the infection.

i had infection in 2 brews, looked ok in the bottle poured with a great head and good colour. but tasted like rats piss, not just on 1 bottle but 4 of the ones i had a sip from were all the same. hard to explain the taste, I guess a bit like cardboard with glue on it.

Warren

Archived