Coopers Community

Isinglass Finings

craigb12

I bought some finings today (ingredients: Isinglass, citric acid, sulphur dioxide).

When is the best time to add this to the brew? After fermentation stops?

Also, although it says 'beer and wine finings', the packaging recommends "10ml per 4.5 litres of wine". Presumably it's the same for beer?

Has anyone used this stuff before? Any thoughts on whether or not it's good/fast/effective etc?

I have been using gelatin finings (1 packet knox gelatin as per instructions from the grocery store) for quite a few batches.

I add after the fermentation stops, usually I just leave the beer 2 weeks to finnish fermenting, then add dry hops if doing that, wait another week then finings and wait another week. All in the primary. Then bottle as normal. Never had an issue with priming trouble etc, there is always enough yeast to prime the bottles.

and I end up with 1/8 the sediment in the bottles, and crystal clear beer. The beer is far clearer with finings, than beer that i have waited extra time up to a total of a month from start of brewing to bottle.

I know fermenting doesn't take 2 weeks, and I don't really need a week for dry hopping (just pitch the pellets in the fermenter), and finings can be as short as 3 days, but that's how I do it. I'm sure your Isinglass finings will work really well.

I found that it wasnt really that great. I may have used them wrong but I chucked them in the fermenter around the time fermentation was finishing.

I found that I can get a beer that is just as clear by leaving it in the fermenter just a week after it has finished fermenting. I also think adding stuff to your beer risks infection as well as allows oxygen to get to your beer.

I found that it wasnt really that great. I may have used them wrong but I chucked them in the fermenter around the time fermentation was finishing.

I found that I can get a beer that is just as clear by leaving it in the fermenter just a week after it has finished fermenting. I also think adding stuff to your beer risks infection as well as allows oxygen to get to your beer.

+1

I find the best option is to buy the finings, open the pack, chuck the finings over your shoulder, and drink your cracker of a home brew without fish guts, abattoir left overs, seaweed or sulphur dioxide contaminating it... [biggrin]

I find the best option is to buy the finings' date=' open the pack, chuck the finings over your shoulder, and drink your cracker of a home brew without fish guts, abattoir left overs, seaweed or sulphur dioxide contaminating it... [biggrin']

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [whistling

So... not many fans of finings then, eh? Ha. I only bought them because im doing another big brew in the 120 litre fermenter, and the the last one i did didn't seem to clear properly. I left it for about 10 days after fermentation had finished but it was still pretty hazy. This brew is for a party on April 30th, so i'm hoping to have it cleared and carbonated by them. I'm gonna force carbonate it in the keg, so that shouldn't be a problem... i'm just hoping to have it super clear this time

I find the best option is to buy the finings' date=' open the pack, chuck the finings over your shoulder, and drink your cracker of a home brew without fish guts, abattoir left overs, seaweed or sulphur dioxide contaminating it... [biggrin']

Sounds like it might make a good soup stock though [biggrin]

Archived