Coopers Community

Bottling the brew

DavidB25

My first brew was the Cooper's Aussie Larger that came with the micro-brew kit. The bottling instructions said to invert the bottles 4 times after capping. The beer was delicious to say the least. I am now ready to bottle my second brew of Cooper's IPA and the instructions with this kit says not to invert the bottles if using carbonation drops. Why?

Muddy is spot on!!

The reason why the instructions are different - the first set of instructions were written by somebody who doesn't make their own beer while the second were amended by me.[biggrin]

May be worth asking...

my mate used carb drops, his beer poured flat, but then the 2nd pour of the PET bottled brew was very lively. We put it down to the fact that he had not inverted the bottles.

He said it can happen, due to some process or other - any explainations?

Lol guys, you must think I live in crazy world with some of these stories, but my only drug is beer - honest [innocent]

The glasses were unchilled and dry, the beer was extremely flat, I was concerned enough to pick up the PET bottle and take a look, wiggled its bum and saw heaps of fizz, poured it and the beer was lively.

My mate said it was possible due to some process or other, I believed him, which was obviously my first mistake [lol]

the same happened to my batch... all flat, i didnt invert them i just filled up the PET bottles and put 2 carb drops in and yeah flat beer.. but in that im redoing a new batch as mine tasted like cider.. but it didnt before i bottled it..very confused

I usually only bulk prime or use carb drops and have never inverted them or had a flat beer that wasn't caused by the bottle. If I'm too lazy to bulk prime I use white sugar for my irregular sized bottles which I also don't bother to invert but again all carb perfectly every time.

Brewster - How long has the beer been in the PETS? Are you sure they lids were tight enough?

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I'm going to make a possibly rude suggestion...if you've got some flat beers and some lively having used carbonation drops, the most simple explanation is the "oops, I missed one" scenario.

It's happened to me, mainly because my children like to assist me in the bottling process, and so I have my 3 year old drop the carbonation drops into the bottles (how good a dad am I, getting them accustomed to alcohol at 3 years of age [lol] )

In one batch I noticed he'd "done" a row of 3 740ml bottles when I was busy filling another. I asked if he put 2 in all, he said "yes". I pointed to one and said "did you put them in that one". He said "No". Being utterly confused and more concerned with overpriming than underpriming, I just capped them, but put them aside so I could check the result later. Stored them in the same place, however.

Result: all 3 were flatter than normal, 1 completely flat. Conclusion: he was telling me the truth about the one he said "no", and he only put 1 each in the others.

[lol]

Lesson: don't let children or mates prime your beer :P

My daughter helps me with my brewing process.

She is chief of bottling, she lets me know when I miss a bottle. Don't I know about it as well, I think she is a little OCD.

She has also been known to try and improve the flavour of the beer by dropping biscuits in it while I am brewing.

She is currently 2 and a half.

My daughter helps me with my brewing process.

She is chief of bottling, she lets me know when I miss a bottle. Don't I know about it as well, I think she is a little OCD.

She has also been known to try and improve the flavour of the beer by dropping biscuits in it while I am brewing.

She is currently 2 and a half.

Hahahaha.

My eldest (7) was in charge of filling the bottles with my Unreal Ale I just bottled. He diligently lined up all the PET bottles in front of the fermenter...then kicked one over and they all fell down like dominoes.

That's when I told him why I left them neatly in boxes of 15 to the side ;-)

But kids have to learn important life lessons.

Archived