Coopers Community

Swing top bottles

scottb12

Hi everyone, I'm using these bottles for the first time. When I sterilise them next I was thinking of putting some no rinse steriliser in the bottle, closing the lid, give it a good shake then leave it for a while, or do I need to take the caps off and sterilise them separately? I was also wondering what you guys think of the no rinse sterilser, I've been using it for a while but I do rinse. Cheers

I personally like swingtops, especially when they're well made with good fitting bailing wires.

That's the same way I sanitize them, fill halfway with sanitizer, shake, let set for a few minutes and rinse.

I leave the caps attached, but make sure some sanitize stuff contacts them.

Swing tops are great - They sound like champagne when you open them [biggrin] . They are a bit hit and miss and I still get the occassional flat beer (which is heartbreaking if you only have 1 beer in the fridge [crying] ).

I use a bottle rinser to rinse out all my bottles as it makes things A LOT easier and is one of best bits of brewing equipment that I have. I just put about 1L of iodophor solution in the rinser bucket and for my swingtops I leave the cap attached and swinging and dunk it in the solution before giving them a quick squirt and place them on the bottle drainer ready for bottling. All up it takes me 15 mins (or less) to prepare my bottles for bottling.

No rinse sanitiser is fantastic. My weapon of choice is iodophor. 1-2ml (mixed 1:10 with water) is all you need to prepare everything for brewing or bottling - and that is using it liberally [cool] . When mixed to the correct ratio there is no need to rinse - I don't. I also keep a spray bottle of iodophor on hand to spray anything I will be using or touching.

I have some swingtop bottles that are 3L. They where a limited edition thing that Grolsch produced so I grabbed 4 of them. I store all of my big beers that I want to age for a long period of time. I only drink them on ocasions like my daughters first birthday etc.

I would be pretty annoyed if one of them didn't pop. As for all of my normal swing top bottles, I find them to be quite frustration as I had a batch where 5 bottles in a row were flat. [annoyed]

I was also wondering what you guys think of the no rinse sterilser' date=' I've been using it for a while but I do rinse. Cheers[/quote']

If you rinse a no-rinse sanitizer then there is no point using the sanitizer, a waste of money and effort imo.

I use Starsan and it has no effect with any beer or yeast etc. In fact I give EVERYTHING a good spray of Starsan before filling the FV then just shake it out the FV. Don't even worry about waiting for it to dry provided it has had at least 30 seconds contact time you are good to go. 1.5ml to 1L water and a bottle should last for a long long time.

It depends what no-rinse sanitiser you are refering too. However, if measured at the correct dosage I am sure that Starsan has no ill effect on yeast. Actually I have even heard that if mixed properly the Yeast will eat Starsan [ninja]

I've been using CHRISTOFFEL swing top brown glass 310ml bottles. (Netherlands bottle conditioned beer)

They are a nice single serving size, and sure open with a nice pop.

Have used each 3-4 times no failures yet, and no replaced O rings.

My homebrew store carries the rubber gaskets, but they don't seem to be wearing or cracking etc.

I use grolsch bottles but have no idea how many times - I guess I'd be close to 10 times on some bottles. I have heaps of spare o-rings (and heaps of spare bottles that I have never used - I salvaged about 300 bottles from a neighbouring office party a couple of years ago).

I find if I store the bottles with the cap on but unhinged (not locked down) the rubbers have sprung back to life when I next wish to use the bottles. I've had no signs of wear or cracking either.

Just a heads up that my local Dan Murphy at Manly Vale has had the 1.5L Grolsch bottles on sale for $9.90 for the last couple of weeks. The beer is best before the end of May but tastes fine (not that I'm really a grolsch fan other than for the bottles.

I'm not sure if all Dan Murphy's have them on sale but it might be worth checking if you want some bottles [biggrin]

Thanks Muddy, sounds like me and the SWMBO will be taking a quick trip to Bathurst tomorrow to see if I can find anything (I am sure I will).

I am pretty sure after the last haul of 1.5 L bottles she might not be too happy.[bandit]

I love Grolsch bottles... Not had a failure yet on any seals. I recon that if they are kept clean, out of high temps, sunlight and unlocked (when not in use [lol] ) they should last a long time.

I still use bleach for steralizing. I dump 24 bottles a time into a double sink with half a cap of bleach then leave for an hour. Rinse them out with hot running water before draining. Not much effort required [joyful]

Archived