Coopers Community

Ale Yeast With Coopers Pilsener

TimS11

Good evening everyone. I purchased the Coopers Pilsener hopped malt kit today and the can mentions that it comes with lager yeast. There is no way I can achieve temperatures low enough this time of year in Arizona to make the lager yeast work. Does anyone know of an ale yeast that would work. New to homebrewing so any help is appreciated. Thanks to all.

IMO I would probably save the can for a time where you are able to brew at the lower temperatures. I don't normally like mixing the lager beers with ale beers as all of the ones I have done have turned out terrible.

Someone else may have had some success with this tho.

hi tim, welcome to the guild![biggrin]

it sounds you have the same problem all the aussie boys have for most of the year. they will tell you more but i think the majority use temp. controlled fridges to keep at the lagering temps.

if you are looking for a good ale yeast for your cooper's kit i'd start with the Cooper's Ale Yeast. it is very reliable between 18-27C and tastes quite nice.[love]

chad

the lager yeast will work with temps above normal lager temps, you just won't get that clean lager taste/feel. If you can't keep the temp low, I would save it for the cooler months. An easy way of keeping the FV cool, if you don't have a spare fridge is to use two large plastic containers, with the FV in one along with a couple of larger (not lager) soft drink bottles that have been filled with water and frozen. place the second plastic container (inverted) on top as a lid. Change the bottles morning and night. I have a rubber backed picnic blanket over the containers, don't tell my Mrs though, she was looking for it the other day.

The Pilsner kit gives a great beer!

Thanks to all who replied. Currently I can keep the wort at about 78 F. With temperatures forecast in the 90s for later in the week even that temp will be tough. I like the idea about freezing water in bottles to keep the wort chilled. I will give that a try and let everyone know how it goes.

Cheers,

Tim

Can we make a forum rule to only talk in celsius when it comes to temperature? Leonard is always confusing me with his crazy farenheit talk and now Tim [lol] ...BTW - Welcome Tim [cool]

I'm multilingual in that I understand English, Strine, and American but I have to draw the line somewhere [pinched]

Absolutely not...It's metric or nothing [biggrin]

I'm not universally stubborn on this point. If I'm posting on an American site I'll convert my measurements to something they will understand.

Just like if I'm in the UK I'll never mention how comfy my thongs are as they get the wrong idea [lol]

I remember years back when my mates Irish girlfriend, fresh off the boat, came to the pub with us and saw a sign a the door stating "No thongs after 6pm". She was utterly horrified that they would tell her what kind of underwear she could dress in [lol]

Tim, when you see a recommended temp' range such as 21C - 27C (70F - 80F), it's best to go for the lower end.

The temp's you have are too high for an ale yeast, giving more chance of throwing funky flavours and aromas that will take time (months) to dissipate in the bottle.

I think it is worth your while to find a way of keeping the brew cool during fermentation. [cool]

Yea Muddy, you sure did, because you forgot \u201cquarts\u201d!

Years ago you could take your "quart" bottle down to a Millers pub and they would fill them with draught beer, was very popular. Back a bit about 50 years.

Your mate's girl friend was probably a charming Irish lass with a thong in her heart.[roll]

After seeing you in that brides outfit I think your more than "multilingual"?[bandit]

Weggl

Archived