Coopers Community

Grassy Taste

Dave

Hi all, I just did what was meant to be a nice dark ale only to discover i have overdone it with the dry hopping and created an overpowering grassy taste which is all that i can taste [annoyed]

Will this taste and aroma mellow out with time in the bottle or should i just try to come to terms with the fact that i have screwed up my first batch [crying]

Hi all' date=' I just did what was meant to be a nice dark ale only to discover i have overdone it with the dry hopping and created an overpowering grassy taste which is all that i can taste [annoyed']

Will this taste and aroma mellow out with time in the bottle or should i just try to come to terms with the fact that i have screwed up my first batch [crying]

How much hops did you put in?

It has been said to use 1gm per litre so 23gm dry should be ok. Personally I like half that and usually go for about 10-12gms dry.

How long has it been since bottling?

I am guessing you haven't done anything wrong but maybe just drinking it too early. Let it mature a bit longer and you should find the grassiness will mellow in time. Leave it another 3-4 weeks and try another then. [rightful]

ok thanks!

i only used 19 grams in a 23 litre brew. However i got them over the internet and they were pretty old, i think a bit stale and not seeming the best. So perhaps this is another reason? I also didn't use a muslin bag so i left them in there the whole time till they settled out at the bottom.

yes your right that i have tried one straight away (two weeks) i generally do cause i like to keep sampling them to see how they change with time. I'll give them a few more weeks and try again.

Cheers!

Anthony, the bitterness level in a beer will mellow with time. As does hop aroma and flavour.

Also, the bitterness compounds in your hops drop - this is slowed by vacuum packing and cold storage.

Dave, what is the variety of hop?

It was Cascade. It was vacuum packed and supposedly kept cold till posted but still they didn't seem great.

However i have just tried another bottle (it's been about a week since my first all grass experience) and it has already mellowed alot. I can start to taste a bit of Ale in my Hops [biggrin]

Archived