Coopers Community

leaving in fermenter

AndrewF111

I tried this theory, my brew was good to go after 5 days, but I left it for 8. It is infected.

It's just one trial, so it means nothing, except I am using tank water, and my current thoughts are to bottle asap if using tank water.

Just my current opinion, but if it's ready, and you ain't trying to do clever stuff, bottle it!

I normally leave my beer in the fermenter a week after it has finished brewing. This helps clear it up and the yeast will also clean up after itself abit.

Dave - I wouldn't have thought that the tank water and leaving in the fermenter was the reason it got infected. If the tank water had a bug to infect the beer the same thing would happen in the bottle. I would be looking somewhere else[alien]. Not sure where I would look in saying that

This is kind of a yes, no, maybe question...

Many brewers leave the brew to clear for a few days or more without issue.[cool]

It is accepted that every brew we make has some degree of spoilage organisms. It follows that there is some risk in leaving a brew at normal fermentation temperatures once the yeast has finished doing the work.

The amount of risk is linked to the population and type of spoilage organisms, the temperature of the brew and the time it's left sitting.

That said, just with any brew, make the decision to bottle (or not) once you've had a smell and a taste. [wink]

I left a brew for a few extra days to clear, which it did nicely. The brew bottled and primed with white sugar. It has been bottled for two months since mid Jan but the bottles I have tried so far are flat. There is some yeast deposit in the bottom of the bottles, but not as much as some other brews. I used the same sugar measure as always.

Could leaving the brew in the fermenter for extra time to clear deprive the brew of yeast in solution?

Hey Matty, your theory got me thinking, as I said this is a current theory I am working on.

I'd now beg the question that if i bottled a good beer that had potential comtamination, would the contamination go through ALL the bottles or just some?

I dunno if that's a dumb or funny question lol.

I can say that only once have I ever had a brew that had some contaminated bottles, and some clean - it's normaly either all or nothing. So what comes first? The contamination or the potental for it?

That's an easy one Dave, the potential for contamination definitely comes first [innocent]

If the contamination is present in the fermentor then it stands to reason that it will be present in all the bottles. However if the source is only in the bottles it would only be present in the soiled bottles.

Damn those 'wrigglies' that get in everywhere, you'd think they could let us salvage a few bottles. grrrr

Guess this means my bottle cleaning is good, as that's the only way I could have a half and half contamination. One of those in 5 years is good going.

I agree with Muddy and Peter. I would be trying to boil the water before adding it to the fermenter.

Our tank water has more bugs in it then our town water (I brew with town water after several infections), which doesn't mean its a bad thing in general as it boosts your immune system etc, but it definately is bad for your beer.

Yes I have to be very careful, but all my brew water goes through 1 micron filter, so no problem there. (We never have to buy bottled water - yum)

I think the problem is that I use straight tank water for rinsing the FV after sterilising it, and there's always a chance of a drop or two left behind involving those wrigglies. But of course 3 litres of boiling then goes straight in, so I assumed that was good enough.

I just bought some 'no rinse' sanitiser, so I see what happens.

Remember I brew a lot of beer, like 30 litres a week, so although I have contaminateds, it is still only about 5% of my turnover - I account for it. It just narks you when you get a couple in a row, and as I said before it's usualy during rainy periods (water in the tanks getting stirred up), so I now avoid brewing/bottling on rainy days.

When I had town water I never had a contaminated beer.

Hi all, my brews sit in the fermenter for 14 days and then they get bottled. Have to say i dont use the hydrometer until i am bottling to get the final reading. Have never had a bad brew in 18 months of home brewing.

• 1 month later...

I am planning on leaving it in my fermenters for 2 weeks so i'll pitch a new batch every week that way bottle one week pitch the next day, as i bottled two batches back to back last friday was enjoyable but ididn't really get a chance to enjoy much beer drinking in that time lol

It all mainly depends on the style I am brewing, but also upon how animated I am feeling, whether or not I have an empty keg or sanitised bottles.

Generally, a darker, or big beer doesn't sit very long, whereas Amber or Pale Ales (and of course lagers) are allowed to sit much longer.

I prefer (and recommended by many) not to leave it on the trub for too long after primary, so I rack to a secondary and chill it right down to help clear.

This also frees up a fermenter with a very active colony of yeast hanging around the bottom gagging to be fed the sweet wort from your very next brew [love]

Archived