Coopers Community

What if...

craigb12

What if you filled the fermenter with 20 litres of water, 2 kilos of dextrose, and pitched some yeast. You'd get fermentation, right? Of course, it would taste awful, but i don't see why it shouldn't work.

I ask this because my last weird experiment was a bit of a failure. I tried to ferment concentrated fruit juice, but only discovered after i'd piched the yeast that the concentrate had sodium metabisulphite in it as a preservative. Absolutely nothing happened. Nothing at all. I reckon that sodium m. killed off the yeast.

What i'm thinking, and this is probably a stupid idea (but i'm a bit of a fan of stupid ideas) is that i can ferment the sugar water into some kind of boozy tap water, then flavour it with the fruit concentrate once fermentation has stopped.

I'm really just doing this out of curiosity, but i have to admit that i'm attracted by the idea of making 40 pints of fruit cider for about \xa34. The question is... will it taste like an arse?

I reckon it would taste terrible, sure it would work but I am sure if you put some bread yeat in there it would work too.

If you where going to make anything like that I would be trying to get some sort of still setup.

My LHBS supplies them.

yeah, to be honest i think i'm going to get some preservative free concentrate. There's a nice place down the road that sells organic fruit and bread etc; I'm sure they'll have something. I was just tempted by the idea of fermenting sugar water... ha... it just seems like a bizarre thing to try.

But now that i think about, i suppose it's not all that dissimilar to making mead. Essentially, that's just water, yeast and honey (which is kind of like sugar).

Mmm... maybe i'll give it a try both ways - one with sugar water,one with organic concentrate - and see which comes out worse

OK yes you can do this add a bit more sugar and when fermentation completes you will have a the base that they use to make home made spirits (from there they then filter it run it through a still etc. If you are looking for a real easy way to make ciders and alcoholic juices etc there is a product available call oz tops which apparently take all the hard work out for you. I have seem them available on ebay for $25.00 don't know how good they work though [innocent]

I just made a 2L of 170g DME, 70 DEX and that concentrated lemon juice (50ml) you buy in about 400 ml bottles. Just bottled, now wait couple of weeks. Tasted like lemon juice out of the fermenter. A% around 4.5%

Yea, Black Jack, I'm just a novice, just buggering about. All i know about beer is the taste I developed by drinking it for the last 55 years. Now apart from a stint 35 years ago, before kits were avaible, I'm now making my own.

The DME and Dex was only in 2L, a mini batch.

Dont think I will make a still, fire water very dangerous.[pinched]

....... Muddy' date=' I think you are just wanting to make sure that Warren can't catch you with the number of posts.[/quote']

[lol] The day you can bank posts I'll start counting them. I'm sure Warren must be only days from a takeover. He'd win on most new threads already I reckon [biggrin]

Archived