Coopers Community

SG not changing!?!?

George J

Hello.. I had set up a Lager on 07 March. Pitched the yeast at about 24C and let it cool to 18C at which it has been maintained since then.

OG before pitching the yeast was 1.036, and when checked last night (12 March) the SG is still at 1.036! [pinched]

Is this normal for a Lager? my first brew was a draught and the SG for that one had changed by the 5th day so I am concerned about this batch.

Fermentation is in progress judging from the condensation on the lid and the foam on top of the brew. However, I did notice a whitish foam in patches as well. No "off" smell but it does smell sweet.

I have used a Brigalow kit and added 1 kg of Brigalow's brewing sugar. The fermenter was cleaned and then sanitised using bleach and rinsed thoroughly before adding the brew.

Any ideas/ comments please?

That's a strange one. 18 degrees is pretty cool - although not too bad for a lager yeast - so a slow start to fermentation wouldn't be too uncommon. But to have the same density reading one week later says that something is going wrong.

If you've got foam forming and condensation on the lid, it sounds like youve got fermentation: but you've got to trust your hydrometer. No SG change = no alcohol.

The only thing i can think of, and i'm really just guessing, is that the change in temperature between the first and second density reading might account for some of the SG stagnation. Am i right in thinking that if you took a SG reading of wart at 24 degrees, then took another reading of the same wart at 18 degrees, you'd get a higher reading in the second instance due to the decrease in average kinetic energy? To be honest, i'm not sure.

If it was my brew, i'd be considering pitching another yeast or trying to jumpstart it one way or another. If the density is still refusing to drop, try activating yeast in some water, wait until it's really starting to foam up, then mixing it through the batch. If that doesn't work... i dunno...

Thanks for the reply Craig. Even I had a feeling it might be because of the temperature difference between the two readings. I'll take another reading today and see if its any different. If not, I'll add some more yeast and hope for the best.

I am concerned about the white foam. even though it doesn't smell infected, what if?

No I didn't, Peter. Wasn't aware of that. I did notice quite a few bubbles in the glass when I drew it, so left it for about 20 mins before reading.

I'll toss the first draw tonight and see what I read and post it here.

Apologies for the late response gents. had to head out of town for a few days.

so the latest on the Lager..... took a SG reading last night and it has dropped to 1.033. lots of fermenting action going on for sure judging from the condensation and the loads of foam on top of the brew.

I think the drop in temperature for a few days after I setup this batch may have caused a delayed beginning to the fermentation. I will leave this in the FV till its time to bottle and see how I go..

A true lager yeast will take a while to do the job but not sure if that is because of a much lower temp (10-12C) but would think it has something also to do with the yeast. Not only this but you should also draw some out and test after that. When testing make sure you have no bubbles on your hydrometer by spinning it around or tapping it on the bottom of the tube a few times then take your reading a short time after it settles. I like to leave mine for about 20 minutes and spin it a few times during this time. Bubbles on the hydrometer will lift it and therefore you will get a higher reading than actual.

I did have the issue with bubbles when i first tested the SG. but when I drew a bit last night and again an hour ago, the bubbles are still there.

so left it for a bit, spun the hydrometer a few times like you suggest and took the reading. it is now 1.032 tonight so looks like it is doing something! [bandit]

Took another SG reading of the Lager last night. It is now at 1.020. A week ago it was reading 1.032.

There is krausen on top of the brew and condensation as well. It tastes sweet so looks like all the sugar hasn't fermented out yet.

My question is this - does a Lager take so long to ferment? The yeast was pitched on 07th March, so it has been 2 weeks and a couple of days now.

Will adding a bit more yeast to the brew help?

George, if the brewing sugar is just dextrose (only a guess) the brew should get down to around the 1004 - 1006 mark.

A couple of things to consider:

> 18C may be a bit low for this product?? We can't be sure if the yeast with this beer kit is a lager strain - it's more likely to be ale.

> the amount of healthy yeast, in the first instance, is likely to have been too low because; the sachet is only 5g or 6g, the sachet is not nitrogen flushed and the product might be a bit old.

It's getting to the stage where another sachet of yeast may help things along.

Thank you for the advice Paul. I am not certain whether it was just dextrose or a mix. It was a packet of Brigalow's brewing sugar.

What I did last night after checking the SG was give the fermenter a shake so that the brew got a bit mixed up.

just realized that I am out of yeast so that will have to wait till tomorrow. However, when I checked the SG just now, it is down to 1.019. Maybe the shake was enough to get the yeast back into action?

Try the care chemist down the road from Bin Inn towards town George. They have good quality yeasts that are properly commercially packaged etc and stored in a fridge. I have used some S-23 in the lager that I just put down yesterday morning...they work down to quite low temps too. Mine is in my fridge in the garage. About $7-8 a pack.

I think it's on the corner of King St and Heretaunga? Opposite Specsavers.

My brew coming along well now...only 36 hours. I read that you know a lager is off to a good start as it has an eggy smell. Opened the fridge this morning (I'm on night shift) and it knocked me back!!![biggrin] Smells and looks like it's going well.

What was the temp range of the yeast in the directions? A real lager yeast can go down into the 40's (F). But usually in low 50's to mid 60's (F). And lagers do take along time to ferment,diacytl rest,lagering at near freezing,etc. True lagers can be quite involved to get that clean,crisp flavor.

The instructions suggested 18C to 27C. so they pretty much covered the entire temp range there![lol]

I have maintained it between 18C to 20C. The latest SG reading from last night was 1.018. so a change of 0.001 in 24 hours.

It's been almost 3 weeks since I put it down so I'm hoping another week should finish it off. any longer and its gonna be frustrating! [annoyed]

I had some yeast lying around that I tried to reanimate but it didn't work.[annoyed] Heading to the LBHS this morning to grab some yeast.

Checked the SG last night and it has gone down to 1.016. If fermentation is progressing and I add more yeast would the brew be cloudier than normal? If it hasn't changed a lot when I check tonight, I'll add some more yeast in there.

Oh, and the best part yet - the tap is leaking around the seal! walked into the garage yesterday afternoon to find half the brew had leaked all over the floor. I tightened the tap up as much as I could without it popping out of the thread and put some cloth around to collect the drips.

Guess this brew is just going through a bad luck spell [crying] serves me right for buying a kit other than coopers![lol]

• 4 weeks later...

An update on this brew...

Finally bottled it on 2nd April at a FG of 1012. Tasted it after 2 weeks in the bottle and it had a strange "fruity?" taste. Absolutely no head and quite big bubbles.

Poured a glass out yesterday and the same issue. its got a sweetish/ sour taste (sorry, but thats the best i can explain it), and no head. large bubbles as well. I'm wondering whether this might be an infected batch since it was in the primary on the trub for almost a month, had a leaking tap, and leaked out half of the 23 litres of the brew overnight.

If it is drinkable I would drink it asap before any infection gets hold. I don't know a great deal about infection as I am yet to experience this. Others here could probably tell you but it really doesn't sound too good.

Knock'em over the Easter break imo!!....

Dammit! I was hoping you would say it is usual with lagers! [lol]

Will chuck it out today [crying] and use the bottles for the lager currently in primary.

my first infection out of 5 batches bottled. Nos 6 & 7 are fermenting now..

Archived