Coopers Community

IODINE

Trusty1

Howdy,

I have used Iodophor as a sanitiser for a few brews lately, mixed to instructions and not rinsed. I tried one of the beers brewed with this method this afternoon, and am wondering if the iodine taste will fade over time. If not the iodopfor and the beer will find itself on its way to the STP! (sewage treatment plant) or at least on the back paddock.

Anyone else experience this, or have I just not really followed mixing instructions?

Trusty, I use it all the time, have not noticed any taste. Did you mix it 1ml/1L.

I rince my bottles and spray 5 squirts from a spray bottle, 1 squirt on the top of the neck first, I put the tops on and leave them until I'm ready to bottle.

I drain them well first and sometimes I give them a quick wash out with a hose with a small spray attached. Have not had any problems with bottles yet and have got through about 300 bottles.

Warren

Weggl mate, I thought I mixed it to directions, i.e. 10ml for 10 litres. Maybe I was a bit heavy handed[pinched] I note they are giving iodine tablets to those near the nuclear reactor in Japan to help guard against radiation. I hope those poor souls are OK, I know I would be, after trying my ale yesterday!!

Trusy No 1, Maybe you went a little heavy, I was told by my HB Shop not to go over 1/100, If I did then you would taste the stuff. Maybe better to give them a quick rince. I measure mine with a 1ml eye dropper. 1ml to 1L.

Trusty, if you mixed it to the right proportions then you should not be able to taste it. Maybe its all in your head. A bit like one beer i made it was all head.

Just froth and bubble.

Maybe you need counseling. [biggrin]

Trusty, if you mixed it to the right proportions then you should not be able to taste it. Maybe its all in your head. A bit like one beer i made it was all head.

Just froth and bubble.

Maybe you need counseling. [biggrin]

I need more than Counselling[rightful] !

I tried a beer from a different batch lalst night and I reckon I couold taste it in that one also!

If it's not in my head, (my dad reckoned he couldn't taste it, but he did ask what iodine tastes like!?!?) do you reckon the taste will dissipate? I bloody hope so, otherwise they might turn into shandy's!

I am pretty sure I made 10ml to 10 litres, but may have gone over. I'll use a medicine dispenser next time to make sure!

thanks fellas.

I suggest you listen to this podcast from basic brewing radio:

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-22-07.mp3

It discusses cleaning and sanitizing in general. Focuses directly on iodophor. The taste aspect pops up, and seems unlikely you could taste it the low level we use it at. I suppose its possible that you could be iodine sensitive.

If you think about it after you empty out the fermenter of iodophor lets say you have 100ml of droplets (not sure if this is credible) you would have .1ml of Iodophor left. From here you dump between 19-23L of water so thats 19,000ml to .1ml of Iodophor. Plus all the other fermentables you have put in. I suppose once you have sanitized the bottle you have doubled the iodine but I just don't see you tasting it. Please excuse any mistakes in the calculations and feel free to correct them.

Why do you need 10L? I always mix up a 2L batch and that is too much.

I think this is a good point, sanitizing doesn't require immersion. A good reason for using the 10L is it reduces measurement errors. I find measuring 10ml is hard work, however the syringe is a great idea that I will be using for accurate measurement.

If you can taste it you have put too much in your mix. Why do you need 10L? I always mix up a 2L batch and that is too much.

You can keep it in a bucket with the lid on for re-using - once it loses it's yellow colour make up a new batch.

As for tasting it in my brews, never in over 100 batches of using iodophor have I ever been able to detect it! I reckon Trusty has a sensitivity to it. Change to Star-San.

I don't have a bottle squirter thingy, so i make 10L in the fermenter and rinse and empty the bottles in there, you can't submerge a bottle in 2L in the FV. yes it is a drag.

I have been described as sensitive, don't know if it extends to my palate.

Do we buy Star San online somewhere, haven't seen it in the LHBS?

I have been using nappy san as a cleaning agent and sanitiser lately.

I use a bottle rinser which make things easier - you don't need to submerge the bottles you just need to pour a "mouthfull" into the bottles and give it a shake.

Try CRAFTBREWER for your Star San (side note: was in Brissy on Saturday and droppped into Craftbrewer - I was happy as a pig in shit! Got to try several of their beers [love] )

Trusty, I wash my fermenter out with cold water (hose) wipe all the gunk of that I can, put about a table spoon of clorine in the fermenter fill it to the top put other gear in as well put the lid on and leave it for a day. Then it is very easy to clean, rince it out well with hose, then rince it out with a jug of boiling water. Have never had a clorine taste. If i use a clean fermenter to bulk prime, I wash it out well with cold water dry it with a towel then give it a spray all over the inside with Idoophor, When Im ready to use it i just rince it out. Never had a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips fellas.

We have established that in all likelihood I overdosed the iodopher.

Does anyone know if the taste is there to stay, or will it dissipate over time? If not I have 3 batches that need to be cleared from stock!

Thanks in advance!

If no one has heard of any other dopes using too much iodine for sanitising, or can't tell me if it will dissipate, I think I am just going to dump the 3 batches affected[crying] , including one of my two kegs. I will keep a few bottles to sample and report back just in case I am not the only imbicile out there, but really, you just don't have to drink this rubbish.

Paul, have you any idea about this one?

Thanks,

Ok, cool, thanks mate. If there is flooding in south eastern NSW over the next few days, attribute it to my tears [crying] [crying] following the dumping of said iodised batches[crying] [crying] [crying].

Not that I don't trust you, but I might just check the other general forum website before tipping them. There might be someone as dopey as me on that one[pinched] !

Archived