Coopers Community

Lovin my Coopers IPA :)

LazyDave

Hey guys, I made an IPA for the first time about a month ago, and I must say I am falling in love [love]

Which means of course that I want MORE lol.

However it would not be kosher to just make it with the 1kg of raw sugar would it?

I want to dabble of course, but I think it has all the malt in the world already. So does anyone have suggestions for improving on perfection?

Haha - that's a big ask - a challenge!

(Sees Muddy typing already) [lol]

the motueka slam is next on my hit list. i have 28g of saaz in the brewery and shed loads of cascade. would it still be a beautiful thing if i used 28g saaz and 62g cascade? would the sasz be lost? how would you add the two? boil the cascade and dry hop the saaz? should i go to the LHBS and get more saaz?

any suggestions?

I think the critical ingredient for the Motueka slam is ... Motueka!

Mine (using 40g) is about a month old and awesome, one of the best brews I have made.

Make it to recipe and then try meddling with it if you think it needs it. I can't imagine you will, other than adding a bit more Motueka. Ornery Saaz may get lost with all that Cascade?

Can you get Motueka (B-Saaz)?

Dan

hi dan,

after re-reading my post i see i made an addition error.[pinched] i was meaning to add 52g cascade. that is still alot i know. i think i would like to go with the 40 g recipe now that you mention it.

the hops i have in town is Saaz alpha rating-3.4. is this Motueka?

a little while ago i got a great deal on a 1kg bag of cascade. i've been throwing it into almost everything these days.[sideways] in fact i have a IPA in the bottle 9 days old loaded with cascade.[joyful]

Motueka is B-saaz, a completely different hop to Saaz. It is grown in New Zealand, hence easily available to us Southern Hemisphere types.

Motueka

It has a different and stronger aroma and higher alpha acids than Czech saaz. If you can't get Motueka, Cascade would probably work very nicely to.

Oops- I see you've already done a cascade IPA!

Woohoo thanks - got it right here http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=601

Meanwhile, I just have to put an IPA down today - this is my hop list, which one would anybody recommend to be the best choice? I would try the web, but the above link does not even mention IPA as a beer for the Motueka hop! So I'd rather ask you guys :)

ukchallenger,

uknorthern,

ukpilgrim,

czechsaaz,

germanhallertau,

germantettnang, (mybestguess)

ukkentgolding,

ukfuggles

Cheers

Oak chips - righto, I put that in my 'to do' basket [biggrin]

Turns out I had a Brewcrapt IPA kit that came with a 12g goldings hop bag, so I did that instead with 900g LME and 1kg Raw sugar. I'm saving my last coopers IPA for when I get the Motueka [kissing]

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, finaly bottled this today after 13 days of FV - OMG!

Tastes fine and FG of 1010, but took an age to stop bubblin and settle, is it because it's a Brewcraft kit? (I'd never normaly stray from Coopers, this was a bit of fun). The yeast was a bit out of date, I have a feeling only 20% of it was working - would this explain the longer ferment time?

Meanwhile I'm back to Coopers IPA tomorrow, I am putting czech saaz (4%) in it, for some aroma? Haven't got hold of Motueka yet.

So you have 18 hours to let me know if I'm an idiot lol [pinched]

is it because it's a Brewcraft kit? (I'd never normaly stray from Coopers' date=' this was a bit of fun).[/quote']

I strayed from Coopers once. You need to stray every once in a while to appreciate what a good thing you have going.

Lol men are designed to stray after all, and yes what a good thing we have going - without Coopers I would have to be close to not bothering - all other brands are surely owned by the government not wanting us to avoid beer tax [bandit]

Have tracked down the Motueka, but postage is killing the cost, trying to go halves with a mate. I have about 450g of hops sitting around already, so can't justify [pouty]

Tx, I go Brizzy quite often, so I'll try and grab some. My contact was mail order and the min postage was like $8, which is too much when you only want one thing.

EDIT: Craftbrewer are the ones I was looking at lol, so that's a no-go - there's no real store to drop into. [crying]

Archived