Coopers Community

Bottl'ing in the dark?

Rob (Guinness Man)

First winter brew and the hydrometre is reading 22. I'm getting closer to the bottling stage. At present all looks well. Good signs of fermenting. Takes a little longer than expected but I gather thats the temperature. Is it necessary once bottled, to leave the bottles in the dark? Or can they be in a room with light?

Thanks,

Rob

Yep, store them in a cool dark area if you can (keep them above 18C for the first couple of weeks). If you haven't got anywhere dark maybe cover them with a towel or something.

Light isn't good for beer over long periods - especially fluorescent ones.

Yep, store them in a cool dark area if you can (keep them above 18C for the first couple of weeks). If you haven't got anywhere dark maybe cover them with a towel or something.

Light isn't good for beer over long periods - especially fluorescent ones.

fluorescent Beers? Is that recipe posted here?

Just as a matter of trivia,the light intensity from a fluorescent tube drops off as an inverse square. That is if the fitting is twice the distance away you'll get a quarter of the apparent light. Hence the need to place grow lights for aquariums on top of the tank. Also brown bottles are by far the most effective way of blocking out U.V. light.

What this means is that although clear bottles of "old speckled hen" that have been next to the lights in the fridge at Dan Murphy's for a month might be past there best, you are pretty safe

leaving brown bottles under a blanket in your garage.

Direct sunlight through a window would be a much bigger danger.[devil]

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

All seems to be going well. Hydrometer reading keeps going down but its taking a long time. Its Coopers European Lager brewing at temperature from 14-16 degrees.

I started on the 19/02/2011 and had a hydrometer reading of 42.

26/02/2011 reading of 1.028

02/03/2011 reading of 1.022

06/03/2011 reading of 1.019

13/03/2011 reading of 1.015/1.016

Its still not giving me a hydrometer reading to bottle. Should I still keep fermenting or bottle it now? I've tasted it and tastes darn good, a little bitter though.

Thanks,

Rob

Speaking of glass and beer, I\u2019ve been wondering about the new almost transparent

Cooper fermenters. Are they light safe for beer? Paul may be able to enlighten us on this.

Also that flourescent beer has a bugger of a head, needs more malt.

Warren

Hey all,

I'e just done another reading and I'm getting the same as last week.

18/03/2011 1.015 / 1.016

I still see condensation on the top of the fermenter but no smells and the airlock does not seem to be moving. This is European Coopers Lager and the fermenting temperature has been around 16 degree's. Its taken longer.

Is it bottling time or should this beer reach 1.010 ?

• 1 month later...

Rule of thumb is 2 weeks for secondary fermentation. If you are using PET bottles you will feel them firm up over the 2 weeks. That only gets your beer carbonated, you still need it to condition in the bottle.

I generally leave it in primary for one week after FG is reached to clear up before dry hopping for another week,or bottling. That gives the beer time to clean up & clear to a slight haze. Still plenty of yeasties to carbonate/condition with. And I leave them at room temp (70F) for a minimum of 3 weeks,maybe 4.

Archived