Coopers Community

Leaky Tap on DIY Brewer

MitchellO

Hey Guys,

Im posting here to see if anybody has any ideas. About a week ago i bought the DIY Brewer and after setting it up, i noticed the tap was dripping. Overnight it leaked approx 2L so i contacted Customer Support who promptly sent me a replacement tap.

I recieved the replacement today and after filling up the brewer with water (not brew mix like last time) the new tap leaks as well!

I read a suggestion about using olive oil but that didnt work either.

28022011859.jpg

In the attached image, the water is leaking from where the black rubber meets the two plastic surfaces, i.e if i attach the bottling valve it leaks around it.

Any hints or ideas would be great!

Cheers,

Mitch

Did you have both parts of the tap replaced? Can you see any imperfections in the rubber seal which would be causing the leak? When I look at my tap I can see a continuous circular seal where the rubber meets the plastic.

I'm guess your best bet would be contacting the Customer Support again and explaining what has happened. [pinched]

Thanks for your reply.

Yeh customer service sent out a whole new tap. I called yesterday and left a message, im assuming they will ask for both taps back to figure out whats wrong with them.

I Checked for imperfections, both taps seem to seel around the top and bottom and around the rectangle hole in the middle.

I hope i get it going soon, the Coopers kit seems a lot better than a few other brands ive seen for sale haha

Cheers

I saw mention of leaking taps on a recent thread but for the life of me I can't find it.

I beleive there was mention that it is possible to put these taps together incorrectly???

It was one of the regulars who posted how to do it properly so hopefully someone will have some suggestions for you today.

Mitch, you have shown an image of the tap core and barrel. However, from your description, it sounds like it's leaking from where the tap fits into the spigot of the fermenting vessel, yeah?

If so, there may be a fault with the fermenting vessel??

Frank, in customer service, will get back to you. [biggrin]

Nice one Matty - I did a site search and came up empty handed but I guess I should have fired up the google machine [biggrin]

Had it saved in my favourites as I had a friend who had exactly the same issue.

Okay, missed the bit where you said you attached the bottling valve...[sideways]

Frank is sending out another replacement and I will be interested to get the taps back. I tested the second tap you received, prior to sending out - the plot thickens.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the replies, the problem in the thread which Matty A gave seems to be the same as but the olive oil didnt work.

Spoke to Frank on the phone and he is sending a tested new one, hopefully it works but i guarantee the two taps which ill be sending today work fine when you recieve them haha.

Just for reference, heres a vid showing the drip on the outside of the inner tap (if that makes sense?)

Mitch

Yeh any position and all at the same rate.

In the vid it showed a drip about every 10 sec which was a lot slower than the first tap (which was about 1 per second).

Could there be something wrong with the spiggot hole putting too much pressure on the tap or something?

If it cant be fixed i could block the hole, it would be hard to bottle but atleast i can start brewing [biggrin].

Got the new tap yesterday and after sanitising and starting the cerveza brew, not a single drop overnight, ALL SEEMS WELL [biggrin]

Did the old taps leak when you got them back?

Cheers for the great Customer Support!

That's good to hear!

The tap, that came with your DIY Beer Kit, leaks.

The other tap, first replacement, is fine. In fact, I'm using it with a brew at the moment - two days without a drip [biggrin]

Archived