Coopers Community

Cornelius Kegs

craigb12

Last night, after a significant amount of homebrew, i bought myself a bunch of corny kegs from ebay. Basically, i don't know too much about them: but today im really hungover and a lot poorer than i was last night.

So, can anyone give me an A - Z on what else i need to get my hands on? I know i need a CO2 tank, regulator, tubing, jubilee clips, ball lock disconnects, and a tap.

Is that it?

Also, i really want to know if, when pouring a beer from the keg, do you need to keep the gas line attached. Is this true? Or is there enough pressure in the tank to pour a pint without keeping the gas attached?

Thanks

Craig

Hi craig!

Are you in Australia? if so what state?....i may be able to give you some advice on a good place to go to get that other stuff....

I keg and yes as far as i know your co2 needs to be conected to your keg but even a small 2.6L bottle will last you 15 to 18 kegs...? So i have heard....if you natural condition......im still on my first bottle so its only what i have heard.

you will also need a fridge.

Hey Josh,

no, i'm in scotland. These corny kegs aren't as easy to come by here; you can still get them but i don't think they're as abundant as over in Australia. That's a bummer about needing to keep the co2 attached... i'm gonna be pulling beer from about 7 of them simultaneously, so i'm gonna have to get one huge gas bottle... or maybe a few medium sized ones.

Do you know how much weight is in a 2.6L bottle? The guy im gonna by mine from sell them in 2 kilogram bottles

I lived in Edinburgh for 7 months in 2008 nice place! [happy]

2.6L is 2.6KG of co2 but it feels like more cause the bottle has to weight to it, i think thats the smallest you can get in OZ? depending where you live you might have to take a trip to ED or Glascow to find some home brew shops?

Paul or PB2 on this forum works for coopers....he may be able to point you in the right direction to get good homebrew stuff in Scotland?

Here is a link to another forum, its topic is about kegging and has many pictures of peoples keg set ups from around Australia, it might give you a few ideas?

good luck!

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235&st=0

Craig, don't know much about keging but there should be no reason why you can't hook all the kegs to one line. You would need a tee for each keg and a tap off the tee, between the tee and the keg,for each keg, so you could isolate each keg.This is assuming that each keg was to run at the same pressure. By the way how much were the kegs each?

Warren

Provided the kegs contain beer styles that work off the same serving pressure, it's very easy to bank them.

Our distributor in the UK (bottom of this screen) may be able to help you with sourcing a gas bottle. You should be able to get straight CO2. I prefer to use a Nitrogen / Carbon Dioxide mix.

Or is there enough pressure in the tank to pour a pint without keeping the gas attached?

Thanks

Craig

You do not need to keep the gas on to pour a pint. After a few glasses have been poured the flow rate will just get slower. When this happens then give it another shot of gas.

There is no reason why you can't run multiple kegs from the same gas bottle/line.... I do. (obviously unless you need different pressures for different brews.)

You can also use a Soda Stream bottle for gas and I know of some people who have modified fire extinguishers as well.

I have 2 x 2.6kg bottles and just change them as one empties so you can get it refilled.

Don't worry, apart from a fermenting fridge, kegging would be the best investment for sure.

Cheers

Archived