Coopers Community

Temperature Question

DavidP19

Hi guys,

I just have a question on what is the ideal temperature to keep the carboy at during fermentation, I mainly brew coopers lager (Coopers Ale yeast) and Mexican Cerveza (Coopers Ale yeast / Lager yeast).

I brew in a temperature controlled fridge so can set any temperature I want without a problem, I have been brewing at 21 degrees C, that being the lowest of the recommended range, but I have noticed here that some seem to aim lower than that even when using Ale yeast.

So my question is what temperature do you recommend I brew at, and what is the effect of brewing at a lower temperature, is it a cleaner result?

Cheers

Dave [biggrin]

Hi Dave, I'm no expert but logic would suggest as low as possible temp for lager without stopping the yeast from working, I believe lager taste will benefit from a longer slow brew time. But I'm sure others will know for sure.

But I must say what a luxury to have a temp controlled fridge, a big plus for perfect brewing [happy]

Thanks for your reply, I agree with the lower the better theory, although the Coopers Lager kit I am using uses the Coopers Ale Yeast, so I am not sure how low I can go safely without the yeast stopping, and whether there is a great benefit in taste to be had at brewing a degree or two lower, which is why I am curious as to what temp others are brewing safely at with the ale yeast.

As for the fridge, yes it is indeed something I would never be without, and is not that expensive to setup either... Just an old second hand fridge that will fit the carboy, and a temperature control unit which you can get from your LHBS or cheaper still off ebay from China (which is where i got mine).. It does involve some wiring up though, so you need to be confident with wiring 240V cables safely.

Cheers

Dave [biggrin]

Haha, first brewer, now electrician - eek lol.

I've heard 15c mentioned in dispatches for lager, do you like the ale yeast in it? Of course you could buy seperate lager yeast, I've heard here from the pro's that lower and longer makes a big difference in taste.

Ironic, but I brew lager about twice a year and it gets rave reviews, because I'm an ale guy, I don't drink it lol, and it's usualy 4-5 months in the bottle before people taste it - even I can drink it!

So maybe the temperature is not such a biggy as leaving it to mature?

Sure the pro's will be here to help us very soon [rightful]

I'm off now for beer o clock with a mate whose bottling - how's that for beer lover - just have to perve don't ya?? lol

For a lager try to aim for as close to 10C as possible and for an Ale try to aim for 20C,

I normally get around the 18C for my Ale yeasts and they still ferment out so I keep it there.

If you have the temperature on the too warm side it can create funky flavours so the better the temperature (for the yeast) the better your beer.

Rule I follow is 10C for lager and 20C for Ale and it makes great beer.

Thanks Muddy,

I remember back to the days of an old tea chest and a light bulb through winter, then wet towels in summer... I dont think I have the patience for that anymore, and temp fluctuations could be insane at times! Temp controlled fridge is the only way to go!

Thanks for your advise on yeast, I have only ever used ale yeasts so I need to do some reading on the do's and dont's of lager yeasts before I give it a go, and of course I know I will need patience, something I can be short of at times lol

Cheers

I learned the hard way that 20-22C is best for the ale yeast Cooper's supplies with the lager malt kit. although,I must say from experience,that 22C might be better. If ale yeast pitched beer takes too long to finish fermenting,you get off flavors,like fruity/tart flavors. But,since ale yeasts seem to like producing fruity/citrus flavors anyway,I'm going to try using hops that give fruity,flowery,slight spice flavors. I thought those kind of hops might give those fruity esters more of a refined edge.? For instance,I'm going to try 1oz of kent goldings,& 1oz of willamette. There's some real good info on hops at freshops.com You can order from them too,but you have to buy at least 2oz's of each,& a total of 12oz's on your order. But at least the hops info is good. They give the name,alpha acid %,what flavors it gives,bittering/aroma uses,& what beers the type is usually used in. Good read.

• 9 months later...

Archived