Coopers Community

W-34/70's surprising vigour

Kegory

I pitched one packet of w-34/70 into 10L for my Bird of Prey American Lager. I put one heatbelts on it and have a wet towel and fan to cool it.

The cooling was intended to combat higher than desired ambient temperature but it's been frequently activated to battle the heat that is being generated by the yeast. At least, that's what I assume is going on.

Even on Day 12 with the temperature ramping up for D-rest, and the Inkbird set to 7 degrees above the ambient temperature, the temperature continues climbing after the heating switches off to the point that the cooling circuit switches on.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this or observations they'd care to share?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kegory said:

Even on Day 12 with the temperature ramping up for D-rest, and the Inkbird set to 7 degrees above the ambient temperature, the temperature continues climbing after the heating switches off to the point that the cooling circuit switches on.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this or observations they'd care to share?

What's the gravity now?

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

You have effectively pitched double the yeast for 10 litres so you are going to get the extra heat it's not going to hurt the brew but will be interested in your thoughts on it when you drink it

I didn't notice anything like that with the Autumn Amber Ale. That had Coopers English Ale yeast which is 15g into 8.5L, which equates to roughly three times the amount of yeast.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kegory said:

I didn't notice anything like that with the Autumn Amber Ale. That had Coopers English Ale yeast which is 15g into 8.5L, which equates to roughly three times the amount of yeast.

How long is this spam going to go on for?

So, later on Day 12 the rate of the temperature increase had appeared to have slowed down. Now, early on Day 13, the temperature is climbing much less, about 0.2 degrees, still at about 7 degrees above ambient. Looks like it's just about done. I'll take a gravity reading soon.

It's entirely possible that I just didn't notice such reactions on the Autumn Amber Ale as I had greater margins to play with and didn't bother cooling that one. With the fan running it is pretty obvious when the cooling circuit kicks in.

The only other one I've cooled was the Cooper's Dark Ale and that was a greater volume, 23L, and less yeast, just the 7g can packet.

Hmm, now I want a Rapt Pill them I could really nerd out over the data.

25 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Bloody Phishing Scams. 😬 I doubt whether Coopers would be aware of it yet.

I would suggest not to click on any of the links.☠️

Yeah, I was wondering myself. There are now hundreds of pages with this rubbish. A good geo blocker should take care of this. Most of this rubbish usually comes from China and Russia, but Bulgaria, Netherlands, and others are pretty active in the spam department. Most of the time it is unsuspecting users whose computers were infected. Those who are really behind it are rarely found and if, then they are state-sanctioned, like Putin's troll farms, and get away with murder.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah, I was wondering myself. There are now hundreds of pages with this rubbish. A good geo blocker should take care of this. Most of this rubbish usually comes from China and Russia, but Bulgaria, Netherlands, and others are pretty active in the spam department. Most of the time it is unsuspecting users whose computers were infected. Those who are really behind it are rarely found and if, then they are state-sanctioned, like Putin's troll farms, and get away with murder.

I guess if there are a lot of posts today it will disappear into cyber-space.

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Bloody Phishing Scams. 😬 I doubt whether Coopers would be aware of it yet.

I would suggest not to click on any of the links.☠️

I reported about a dozen of them when I was in the train yesterday afternoon shortly after it started so they should have been aware of it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kegory said:

I reported about a dozen of them when I was in the train yesterday afternoon shortly after it started so they should have been aware of it.

Yes, and as an extra layer of protection for purchases from Coopers they now need to Get PayPal. The vendor gets no credit card details from the purchaser. PayPal pays them and bills you via your credit card.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 11:19 AM, Kegory said:

I put one heatbelts on it and have a wet towel and fan to cool it

Sorry mate. I tried to reply a few times but between the spam and my kids, I'm only getting to it now.

I'm not familiar with your set up - was this in the fridge? Did you have heating and cooling going at the same time?

Amount of yeast is fine. It's probably in line with a healthy pitch. 

I'm guessing it's a problem with the heating and cooling somewhere or the yeast just took a long time to get going. Where was the inkbird probe placed? Most heat is generated in the early stages of the ferment.

Do you know what the gravity was before you started to raise the temperature for diacetyl rest? That might give a bit of a clue.

How did the sample taste?

No dramas.

No, I don't have a fermenting fridge yet. No, the heating and cooling are switched by the Inkbird.

The Inkbird probe is slightly above the center, around the 2/3 mark, taped to the fermenter and covered/insulated by a stubby holder.

The Krausen formed somewhere between 32 hours and 48 hours after pitching, which seems about average for my previous brews.

I didn't take a gravity reading before beginning the diacetyl ramp up. I began the ramp up immediately after adding the dry hops.

The sample tasted ok but I only took a tiny sip. The sample was very cloudy and even had some sediment collect on the bottom of the tube after refrigerating it for a couple of hours. None of my ales have been that cloudy, not even close.

1 hour ago, Kegory said:

No dramas.

No, I don't have a fermenting fridge yet. No, the heating and cooling are switched by the Inkbird.

The Inkbird probe is slightly above the center, around the 2/3 mark, taped to the fermenter and covered/insulated by a stubby holder.

The Krausen formed somewhere between 32 hours and 48 hours after pitching, which seems about average for my previous brews.

I didn't take a gravity reading before beginning the diacetyl ramp up. I began the ramp up immediately after adding the dry hops.

The sample tasted ok but I only took a tiny sip. The sample was very cloudy and even had some sediment collect on the bottom of the tube after refrigerating it for a couple of hours. None of my ales have been that cloudy, not even close.

What was the temperature when you pitched the yeast? What is the current SG reading? Did you see fairly big temperature fluctuations between day and night?

I put down a Helles on Monday night, pitched Dubbya (2 packs for a 22l batch) @18C and then dropped the temperature down to 13C. It had formed a nice krausen, about 2cm thick, after 24 hours. 32-48 seems a little slow. 

4 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

What was the temperature when you pitched the yeast? What is the current SG reading? Did you see fairly big temperature fluctuations between day and night?

I put down a Helles on Monday night, pitched Dubbya (2 packs for a 22l batch) @18C and then dropped the temperature down to 13C. It had formed a nice krausen, about 2cm thick, after 24 hours. 32-48 seems a little slow. 

I pitched at about 15C. Yesterday's SG was 1.015. The temperature fluctuations were within plus/minus 0.5C as far as I can measure.

The vigorous heating up started to slow down later on Day 12 according to my observations. I disengaged the cooling circuit late on day 13 and I haven't noticed any remarkable heating up since then.

TBH, the recipe actually forecast fermentation to take 10-12 days and just judging by the temperatures that looks right on schedule. Just the apparent vigour left in it early on Day 12 surprised me.

1 hour ago, Kegory said:

I pitched at about 15C. Yesterday's SG was 1.015. The temperature fluctuations were within plus/minus 0.5C as far as I can measure.

The vigorous heating up started to slow down later on Day 12 according to my observations. I disengaged the cooling circuit late on day 13 and I haven't noticed any remarkable heating up since then.

TBH, the recipe actually forecast fermentation to take 10-12 days and just judging by the temperatures that looks right on schedule. Just the apparent vigour left in it early on Day 12 surprised me.

I find this to be a fairly unusual performance of W34/70. What I put down on Monday is now sitting back at 18C for a d-rest. Yesterday, SG was down to just under 1.020 from an OG of 1.050. I expect it to be done by maybe Tue/Wed, so I can start slowly dropping the temperature to CC temps over the course of a week and then CC for a few more days. IMHO, Dubbya is a pretty reliable performer and I wonder what may have gone wrong in your case. 

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

The SG is 1.015 again today but the sample is much clearer.

Day 13

IMG_20230722_142200673.thumb.jpg.836a259fac85a361a02c4885364a7de9.jpg

Day 14

IMG_20230723_162010993.thumb.jpg.cd5191897f07edccdb8f7288dd173dc9.jpg

It smells great. Tastes pretty good, too.