Coopers Community

Heat Belt Location

TheWarren

Hi all,

Where's is the best spot for the heat belt on the FV?

I've just started a batch and took some temp readings (with a handheld "point and shoot" thermometer) with the heat belt approximately around the middle of the FV. 

Bottom of vessel - 20°c, just below heat belt - 21°c, just above heat belt - 27°c, top of liquid - 24°c

• Like 2

I have mine about a third up from the bottom. My probes are taped at about two thirds up. When I get my fermenting fridge I'll do what seems to be common practice and place the heatbelts somewhere within the chamber but not directly around the part of the FV where the liquid is sitting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kegory said:

I have mine about a third up from the bottom. My probes are taped at about two thirds up. When I get my fermenting fridge I'll do what seems to be common practice and place the heatbelts somewhere within the chamber but not directly around the part of the FV where the liquid is sitting.

Thanks for the info Kegory.

I might move mine down a bit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheWarren said:

Hi all,

Where's is the best spot for the heat belt on the FV?

I've just started a batch and took some temp readings (with a handheld "point and shoot" thermometer) with the heat belt approximately around the middle of the FV. 

Bottom of vessel - 20°c, just below heat belt - 21°c, just above heat belt - 27°c, top of liquid - 24°c

I always have mine in the middle $ have for years, it seems to remain constant. 

I have never had an issue so it will stay there.

• Like 2