Coopers Community

Drinking out of Stubbies

Matty A

Hi Guys and Gals,

Just wondering if anyone here drinks their brew out of stubbies. I was thinking of taking some to a mates house for a BBQ on the weekend and we will be drinking out of stubbies.

I have tried this once before and the first 2 moutfuls where great but after that it started to taste extremely yeasty.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matty

Absolutely, pour in a glass, leaving the sediment behind...

The problem is in the bottles being agitated during transportation, stirring up the sediment, that would account for the "yeast taste" you encountered.

The PET bottles tend to hold the sediment in the little "feet" of the bottles better.

In glass "stubbies" or the slim 330ml bottles I use to bottle what doesn't fit in the keg, the sediment slips from the bottom of bottle easier, even when not agitated, and needs careful pouring (reculture what is left in the same way you reculture from Cooper's Pale Ale = Free Yeast).

If you can, leave the bottles at your mate's upright in a fridge for 1 or 2 days prior to the BBQ...

I use stubbies all the time and do not have a problem if anything the longer in the bottle the harder the sediment becomes I also rake my beer and use finnings which I think makes a difference, also use care in transport packing them tight together and always cooled before leaving home.

[lol] I generally use bottles when I BYO. As John said the more aged beers have a sediment that is compacted, I also pack them in the the esky with ice and stored upright so there is limited movement. A glass to decant into can also be a good thing. I also find that leaving in the fermenter an extra week seems to clear the beer. Then again I am lazy and once bottled I leave until ready to drink

Maybe Paul could enlighten us on this practice?

I think the practice is common knowledge but it has always surprised that Coopers support the rolling method as anyone with a bit of common sense knows the tipping method is much more effective.

It is a good thing to have sediment in some beers but others are best enjoyed clear. The decanting method works fine and the carbonation loss is negligable - much pouring into a jug before your glass.

Personally, I usually just transport the bottles carfeully and take a couple of glasses.

I think I will just chuck a couple of Glasses in the esky when I go.

I will enjoy it all the same, I normally drink out of a glass anyway but my mates all enjoy that VB sh** so they don't have alot of human like qualities [biggrin]

Me and the mrs regularly go to a BYO pizza joint with a mate and his girl Friday evenings. I take a few longies in one of those silver material lined soft drink carriers with some ice and/or ice packs, and enjoy them out of the schooner sized plastic cups like the ones you get at the cricket/footy these days. they are easily transported, big enough to have a continuous pour for two people and there are no concerns regarding breakage[innocent] !

We were booked in there last Friday, and I thought I would try another one of my Duvels after all the talk on this here forum before venturing out. I had half of one in a PET in the fridge from a few days earlier, so I finished it, then cracked another one and finished it just in time for my mates mrs to arrive and collect me and SWMBO, who was just finishing prep of the kids for my mum who was baby sitting. I went and sat in the car out the front and waited for Mrs Trusty1. In the mean time, head starting to spin slightly, I took my bulging wallet (bulging from anything other than $) and slipped it into the side pocket in the front door of mates car.

By the time we knocked over, well, I can't really remember what and how many , but there was at least a canhopper (can blonde with heavy hops), a Heritage lager and the last of my ESB, plus a few more HB's and my mate brought along a 6pack of White Rabbit white ale and a few bottles of sem sav blanc, the bill came and I reached for my wallet, and it wasn't there. Couldn't remember where it was, and got out of coughing up for the meal[crying] . I thought my wallet must have been at home so was not panicked. As we got home at about 2.30am after going to my mates house to see his new garden lights at 10.30pm (any excuse to keep drinking), I wasn't in the best shape the next day, but when we finally searched for my wallet and couldn't find it, thought it must have been in my car, when it wasn't there, thought it must have been in my office drawer at work (half hour drive away) when it wasn't at work I started to panic. I drove back out to work Sunday with the kids to have another look, still wasn\u2019t there. It took until Tuesday for me to ask my mate to check his car! Funnily enough it was there!

So, I guess the moral of the story is, to not drink Duvels before going out. Or is to not drink so much when you are out? Or maybe to leave your wallet in your pants? Or maybe there isn\u2019t a moral, except don\u2019t post long winded posts which aren\u2019t very interesting?

Does this help at all with the original question?[pinched]

It helps heaps.

When I am out I will leave my wallet in my pocket and then I can drink as much as I would like. But if I take my wallet out of my pocket, then I have to tone it down a little.

I think I will just put up with the wallet or give it to SWMBO to look after for me.

I always carry my wallet but rarely have any cash in it. My wife never, ever carries money (Just a bus ticket to get to work) so if we get anywhere and I don't have my wallet I am in the bad books.

Having said that she is our house treasurer and always knows exactly what is in the banks and even what it in my wallet (I've usually got no idea).....although the fact that I ordered $100 worth of stuff from the Coopers store yesterday hasn't yet been discovered nor has it come up in conversation [whistling

I think I may be getting the cold shoulder this weekend once I come clean [biggrin]

What about carbonating the beer in the sprayer and using the air pump to push it out?

Weggl

No, the pump pushes air in through the beer...

A little moderation and you can use a bike pump or tyre inflator, remembering it is best to consume the beer in a day or two

Check for new topic in a short time, will find links for reference etc

Archived