Coopers Community

Anyone know the alcohol tolerance of Coopers yeast?

Tone boy

Hey fellow brewers!

Im looking at brewing a high gravity stout (about 1.070 OG) and can’t get hold of my usual M42 New World Strong Ale yeast. I have a heap of left over Coopers sachets - mainly from pale ale kits. 
Does anyone know if this yeast will do the job - expected ABV  is around 7.3%. I was thinking about 4 sachets…

cheers and happy Easter everyone 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Hey fellow brewers!

Im looking at brewing a high gravity stout (about 1.070 OG) and can’t get hold of my usual M42 New World Strong Ale yeast. I have a heap of left over Coopers sachets - mainly from pale ale kits. 
Does anyone know if this yeast will do the job - expected ABV  is around 7.3%. I was thinking about 4 sachets…

cheers and happy Easter everyone 

I reckon some of the Coopers kit yeasts are pretty alcohol tolerant.  For example, the Russian Imperial Stout uses the three kit yeasts (Lager, Stout, Dark Ale) for a 9.2% beer.  The Light German Bock uses two Golden Crown Lager kit yeasts in a 7.2% beer.

Plus the brew can yeast is recommended to be added to most of the 7.5% ABV Vintage Ale recipes.

You could use 4 packets or 21g of APA yeast.  This is a hybrid blend of Ale and Lager yeast.  Although the APA kit yeast does not feature in any high ABV beers, the Craft series uses the same yeast, plus it is only 5g versus 7g.  There are several Craft recipes that are 7.2% and above:

On that basis, your plan to use 4 packets or 21g of APA yeast would do the job in your 1.070 OG brew.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Having made the Russian Imperial Stout I would have gone with three,

But I suppose it depends on how old the packets of yeast are that you have.

I would have thought four would definitely do it.

The Coopers yeast is good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1