Coopers Community

Ginger Beer using Jars Crushed Ginger

Has anyone brewed a ginger beer using crushed ginger in a jar?

eg,

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/colac/product/coles-ginger-crushed?adId=display_Px3eO76SWCm3r6TruVFO2tJKQe82MDI3MTM0UA%3D%3D

I was thinking of brewing one from scratch using this as it works out a lot cheaper than fresh, but worried about the other ingredients that may ruin it. What does everyone think? Will it work?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I put this down the other day, I figured it would be a pretty cheap experiment. I used a 1kg jar of crushed ginger($5.40) and few other spices, 2kg of raw sugar and made it to 20L.

It's bubbling away nicely and SG is now down to 1.008.

I tasted the sample and it actually tastes like it will make decent ginger beer. It's just a bit light on flavour so I'm going to steep another jar of ginger, top up to 25L and add a bit more sugar accordingly.

I'll update again in a few days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris75 said:

tasted the sample and it actually tastes like it will make decent ginger beer.

Well, that is good. I thought perhaps there would have been a preservative in there that would have killed the yeast, but maybe there is food acid that helps the brew

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beach_life said:

Well, that is good. I thought perhaps there would have been a preservative in there that would have killed the yeast, but maybe there is food acid that helps the brew

That's also a bit what I was worried about. I boiled it for hour but I don't know if that actually makes a difference or not.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 10:57 AM, Cheap Charlie said:

How did this turn out?

If it was good can you share your recipe?

Please post back results. Cheers.

Will do. It's just finished fermenting so I'll cold crash and bottle next week.

Even with the extra jar of ginger it still tastes a bit light on flavour to me but I'll confirm once conditioned.

Maybe next time I'll try wrapping it in a cloth bag instead of boiling/steeping and taking it out.

• Like 1