Coopers Community

Dried wheat malt extract

Oldbloke

I mainly do kit and bits.

Mostly just add 500g of dried malt extract. Light or dark depending on the style.

Always get great beer.

But I noticed sometimes you can get dried wheat malt extract pretty cheap. Who has tried the dried wheat malt extract and what was the result. Is the difference very noticeable?

14 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

I mainly do kit and bits.

Mostly just add 500g of dried malt extract. Light or dark depending on the style.

Always get great beer.

But I noticed sometimes you can get dried wheat malt extract pretty cheap. Who has tried the dried wheat malt extract and what was the result. Is the difference very noticeable?

I have used Coopers Wheat Malt Extract many times; it is great for creating a softer mouth feel & awesome in aiding head retention. There are a few varieties Amber/Light/Dark etc depending on what you are brewing. It does add slightly to the cost as opposed to LDME or LME but worth it for the result.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have used Coopers Wheat Malt Extract many times; it is great for creating a softer mouth feel & awesome in aiding head retention. There are a few varieties Amber/Light/Dark etc depending on what you are brewing. It does add slightly to the cost as opposed to LDME or LME but worth it for the result.

+1 from me - use it heaps. Always great results. The Coopers wheat malt extract is a winner for mouthfeel and head retention, at least to my mind.

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 1

Yes OB I always have some on hand. 
I use it in my summer ale (think pacific ale style). It does give the beer a hazy or cloudy appearance, and a good head. Slightly different flavour which goes well with that beer style. I’m not very good at describing flavours though 😂

I also use it in my stout, along with partial mashed grains and that is luxurious.

Worth a try if you like pale ales and hops. Chuck 500g in your next pale ale with some galaxy and motueka hops. I don’t think you’ll regret it.

Cheers mate

• Like 2