Coopers Community

Saison Recipe - replacement for Hefe Wheat

G’day fellow brewers,

I’d like to brew up the Saison recipe but where I am I can’t get a Coopers Hefe Wheat kit. I can get a tin of liquid wheat extract though. To compensate for the lack of hops in the extract, does anyone know what hops (and how much) I should add?

The recipe is 1 tin APA, 1 tin of Preacher’s Hefe Wheat, 500g LDM and 25g Saaz.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

G’day fellow brewers,

I’d like to brew up the Saison recipe but where I am I can’t get a Coopers Hefe Wheat kit. I can get a tin of liquid wheat extract though. To compensate for the lack of hops in the extract, does anyone know what hops (and how much) I should add?

The recipe is 1 tin APA, 1 tin of Preacher’s Hefe Wheat, 500g LDM and 25g Saaz.

Thanks!

Hi Sainter,

I am not sure what is going on with the Coopers Saison recipe.  It says an IBU of 20.  However, the APA can will give you 25 on its own???

I put the recipe into the IanH spreadsheet.  The Hefe Wheat can gives us just under 20 IBU's.  To replicate that in a boil you could do a 5 litre boil with the LDM stirred in and use:

• 50g of Saaz hops and boil for 60 minutes - The recipe has a Saaz hot steep, so that hop probably matches this recipe.
  • 25g of Magnum hops and boil for 20 minutes - Magnum is supposed to be a reasonably neutral hop so can be used in most brews.
  • 25g of Pride of Ringwood and boil for 60 minutes - Pride of Ringwood is already in the APA can, so again should match the recipe.

Also, if using 1.5kg of Wheat Malt Liquid Extract instead of 1.7kg of Hefe Wheat, increase the LDM to about 650g to keep your ABV around the original recipe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3