Coopers Community

Sequoia hops substitute?

lachstock

Hello everyone,

Pretty new to brewing.. I’m planning to make the California Dreaming XPA recipe, but am having trouble finding Sequoia hops. I was wondering what would be a possible substitute for these hops?

Thank you very much! Really appreciate the advice!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lachstock said:

Hello everyone,

Pretty new to brewing.. I’m planning to make the California Dreaming XPA recipe, but am having trouble finding Sequoia hops. I was wondering what would be a possible substitute for these hops?

Thank you very much! Really appreciate the advice!

I did a little Googling and found this: 

image.thumb.png.43d2bf9d735a798856f4655cd5a491d3.png

I used Sequoia hops in the Hop Slam IPA (USA - Sequoia) recipe a few months ago.  It turned out really nice.  Very fruity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you very much @Shamus O'Sean! For example could I substitute the 2x25g of Sequoia for the equivalent amount of Galaxy? Just want to check I’m understanding the table correctly 😅

I was also just wondering where you managed to get your hands on some Sequoia? Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated!

• Like 3

On 10/1/2022 at 2:56 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I did a little Googling and found this: 

image.thumb.png.43d2bf9d735a798856f4655cd5a491d3.png

I used Sequoia hops in the Hop Slam IPA (USA - Sequoia) recipe a few months ago.  It turned out really nice.  Very fruity.

I like how you do your homework. If I just need a bittering hop, I often resort to Magnum because it isn’t good for much else. Ask @Beerlust, wherever he may be these days. TBH, I have never even heard of Sequiosa but I don’t claim to know everything or a lot of anything at all 😂 

The thing is that of all the flavouring or aroma hops you list, I have about three and I have a helluva lot of hops. Just never what I need for a particular brew. 

I really need recipes for things like Perle, Bramling X, Hallertau Blanc and whatever else useless I have around. I need to stop the bloody trigger buying. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, lachstock said:

Thank you very much @Shamus O'Sean! For example could I substitute the 2x25g of Sequoia for the equivalent amount of Galaxy? Just want to check I’m understanding the table correctly 😅

I was also just wondering where you managed to get your hands on some Sequoia? Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated!

Yes, I think Galaxy would be a pretty good substitute for Sequoia.  The same website has this hop comparison wizard:

image.thumb.png.9bd7b1195623e17c3037facb7384c63f.png

For most people's taste-buds, using Galaxy would still produce a nice beer.  The use in the California Dreaming XPA is as a hop steep for flavour and dry hop for aroma.  In a side by side taste test of this beer, done with Sequoia or done with Galaxy, it might be hard to pick a difference.

By the way, I got Sequoia hops from Coopers in the Recipe of the Month pack for the Hop Slam IPA (USA - Sequoia) a while ago.  I have not seen them anywhere since.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1