Coopers Community

Guten Temp issues

MitchBastard

Hey all. Any guten users ever find their vessel over shoots it’s mash step temps?

I like  doing step mash’s and sometimes find a 62 degree steps settles at 65. Somewhat annoying as it’s only when grain goes in that it over shoots. My 67 degree step ends up more like 72. I’ve tried pump on and pump off and both yield an over shoot

It does seem to be accurate as what is coming out of the recirc outlet is basically what the temp screen says.  To be honest the batches have been fine in terms of extraction so could this just be more of a case of temp stratification or layering?

5 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Hey all. Any guten users ever find their vessel over shoots it’s mash step temps?

I like  doing step mash’s and sometimes find a 62 degree steps settles at 65. Somewhat annoying as it’s only when grain goes in that it over shoots. My 67 degree step ends up more like 72. I’ve tried pump on and pump off and both yield an over shoot

It does seem to be accurate as what is coming out of the recirc outlet is basically what the temp screen says.  To be honest the batches have been fine in terms of extraction so could this just be more of a case of temp stratification or layering?

I do not have a Guten, Mitch.  However, is it caused when you add the grains that are say 18°C to water that is at 62°C.  The system detects a temperature drop in the water.  Therefore it tries to heat up to compensate and get back to 62°C.  However, it ends up overshooting in the process?  The system may have finer control when you are heating to your original mash temperature, so it does not overshoot.  However, its reaction to a temperature drop, that it sees as mid mash, might be more dramatic. 

I do not see this situation with the Grainfather.  However, my sparge water, which is heated on a cheap portable induction cooktop, always overshoots by about 2°C.  I have the cooker on a temperature controller to turn off when the temperature probe, in a temperature well in the pot, hits 75°C.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

No, I can't say I have noticed. It is sometimes lagging 1-1.5C but then heats up quickly. I haven't seen it overshoot the temp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I do not have a Guten, Mitch.  However, is it caused when you add the grains that are say 18°C to water that is at 62°C.  The system detects a temperature drop in the water.  Therefore it tries to heat up to compensate and get back to 62°C.  However, it ends up overshooting in the process?  The system may have finer control when you are heating to your original mash temperature, so it does not overshoot.  However, its reaction to a temperature drop, that it sees as mid mash, might be more dramatic. 

I do not see this situation with the Grainfather.  However, my sparge water, which is heated on a cheap portable induction cooktop, always overshoots by about 2°C.  I have the cooker on a temperature controller to turn off when the temperature probe, in a temperature well in the pot, hits 75°C.

Cheers mate. I’ve never actually compensated for grain temp. I did maybe give it a go early on but didn’t see much point as grain would never drop the temp to where it needs to be. I do brew outside and grains are kept in the garage which isn’t really the warmest place. Might be a winter thing to consider me thinks….

• Like 2