Coopers Community

Plastic hydrometers

weggl

I asked this question last week, got no reply. I keep breaking hydrometers so a plastic one is just what i need, I don't want to buy a complete Coopers Kit just to get one. So does anybody know where I can buy one. Sydney -Manly Vale ?

Warren

Muddy thanks for that useful suggestion.

Peter, what does your scale read to? Do you just dip a strip in or do you decant some first? I guess is it is a dip in system then it would need sanitising first.

I rang Coopers and guess what, they only sell the plastic hydrometers with the new fermenters. The chap I spoke to said he would pass my suggestion \u201cthat they could be quite a good seller\u201d on to the marketing manager. (Every body needs some help from time to time)[biggrin]

Warren

Hey Weggl, you spoke to Frank - he sits not more than 3 metres away from my desk [biggrin]

The decision was made, prior to release of the DIY Beer Kit, that all components would only be available wih the kit and not sold separately.

Main reasons for this decision:

1. Components were of a premium for getting sufficient completed kits out before Christmas.

2. We want people to buy the complete DIY Beer Kit rather than the odd component from the kit.

That said, separate items may become available for sale in the future.

Hi Weggle

If you look at what you get in the DIY Kit you get about $50 worth of gear (30 Bottle, Lager Can, BE2 and Carb Drops) and you only need to pay an extra $35 and you get a second fermenter ( a fancy new Design) a spare spoon (handy if you have kids[annoyed]) white board marker (to give to the kids so you don\u2019t have to use the spoon cause it just wipes off [happy] ) and you also get a free Plastic hydrometer.

That is how I would explain it to the ministry of Finance (and War)

The only issue with that Steven is that my Financial Manager knows that I don't bottle into plastic often (due to she had found 12 milk crates full of longnecks for me from an old homebrewer), I bulk prime so don't use carb drops and I had a bad experience with the lager brew.

Can you help me explain it as I want one of the new kits [crying]

1. 'Accidentally' break the glass hydrometer in an extremely inconvenient location (say, her shoe cupboard).

2. Explain that without a hydrometer, you are likely to end up with bottle bombs that may explode in an extremely inconvenient location (say, her shoe cupboard).

3. Explain that there is only one way to get a plastic hydrometer, thus preventing further inconvenient glass breakage episodes.

4. If that foolproof plan fails, offer to buy her some shoes in return for her *generosity* in allowing you to buy a DIY kit.

Hi Matt

It\u2019s Almost valentine\u2019s Day, buy her a new DIY Kit and say \u201cIt is because you think it would be great to make beer together.\u201d

You might also want to buy a good sleeping bag as there is a chance you might be sleeping outside with the dog for a few weeks but at least you will have a new DIY Kit [happy]

Steve

Hi Matt

It\u2019s Almost valentine\u2019s Day, buy her a new DIY Kit and say \u201cIt is because you think it would be great to make beer together.\u201d

You might also want to buy a good sleeping bag as there is a chance you might be sleeping outside with the dog for a few weeks but at least you will have a new DIY Kit [happy]

Steve

reminds me of the time I bought the mrs a worm farm for our anniversary which I had been eyeing off for ages. win-win!

Paul, understand the rational behind the marketing guy wanting to sell $80-$100 worth of gear. What he is thinking is if the buggers want my new hydrometer then put you hand in your pocket. Smart ploy. But I don\u2019t have room for any more fermenters. Don\u2019t need a new spoon or a can of Lager, not at least until winter comes.

But I would love just one plastic hydrometer.

Did he say how long before they will be released?

Thank Frank for passing on my message.

Regards Warren

I literally had everyone in the office look at me when i read those comments, I was laughing so loud. I could just go and buy it and just tell her its my fermenter.

The only issue with that one Dan is that I already broke my hydrometer so I thought I was clever and picked up a new one in the LHBS and it is plastic.

Damn should have gone the stupid glass one.

Matt, don't spoil her, after all you have probably allready bought her a lawnmower and such like. Make her buy it for herself. Can you imagine the look of delight on her face when she hets her hands on a new Coopers Plastic hydrometer?[roll]

Warren

Actually I must say I have done something similar but it was a new computer. I wanted it so she got it [lol]

A computer isn't too bad, I think a block buster for mothers day would just about be the limit I would go to! Many years ago my dad bought mum a pair of thongs that were too big for her (funnily enough they were ok for him), and a dead plant! Isn't it the thought that counts?

Archived