Coopers Community

Cold crashing affecting bulk priming

Spursman

I've been doing bulk priming in fv after ccing for a few months now. For 23 litre batch I started at 170 grams in 500ml of water but have gradually worked up to 195 grams to get decent fizz in pet bottles. Always leave about 6 weeks before drinking and get wonderfully clean clear brews with virtually no sediment. 

Initial dosing rates were following an online calculator but the resulting carbonation was well below what I desired.

I'm wondering if ccing at 0.2 for 3 or 4 days is the reason for the low carbonation rate at the suggested dosage?

In other words do the online calculators not take ccing into consideration when calculating dosage rates?

It shouldn't be. It doesn't drop out enough yeast to affect carbonation level, that's all about the amount of sugar added. 

Usually when the calculators take cold crashing into account they suggest a ridiculously low amount of priming sugar like 90g for a whole batch. For some reason the creators of the calculators seem to think the CO2 expelled during fermentation magically gets pushed back into the beer when it's chilled, despite most of it exiting the fermenter completely. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Spursman said:

I've been doing bulk priming in fv after ccing for a few months now. For 23 litre batch I started at 170 grams in 500ml of water but have gradually worked up to 195 grams to get decent fizz in pet bottles. Always leave about 6 weeks before drinking and get wonderfully clean clear brews with virtually no sediment. 

Initial dosing rates were following an online calculator but the resulting carbonation was well below what I desired.

I'm wondering if ccing at 0.2 for 3 or 4 days is the reason for the low carbonation rate at the suggested dosage?

In other words do the online calculators not take ccing into consideration when calculating dosage rates?

Doesn't your calculator take temps into consideration? I used to use approx. 180g dextrose for a 21l batch and thought carbonation was fine for me. All into cold crashed FVs.

I used to use https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/ 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Usually when the calculators take cold crashing into account they suggest a ridiculously low amount of priming sugar like 90g for a whole batch. For some reason the creators of the calculators seem to think the CO2 expelled during fermentation magically gets pushed back into the beer when it's chilled, despite most of it exiting the fermenter completely. 

You're spot on OVB. The Brewers Friend calculator states exactly what you refer to. Clearly someone has completely spun a whole lotta bs into the data. Wonder how many others have been sent down the wrong path by this "calculator"? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Doesn't your calculator take temps into consideration? I used to use approx. 180g dextrose for a 21l batch and thought carbonation was fine for me. All into cold crashed FVs.

AK the calculator did require the beer temp to be entered. I noticed that when I altered the temp from 13° ( fermenting temp) to 0.2° actual bottling temp the dose rate fell quite substantially. 

Use the highest temperature the beer got to, or just ignore it completely and go by your own preferences. I did similar when I began bulk priming beers. Can't remember what I started with, probably about 160g or so, gradually increased it each batch until I was happy. I did use dextrose though which you need more of than sugar for the same carbonation level. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Spursman said:

You're spot on OVB. The Brewers Friend calculator states exactly what you refer to. Clearly someone has completely spun a whole lotta bs into the data. Wonder how many others have been sent down the wrong path by this "calculator"? 

You'd think they'd have fixed it by now. I didn't even know about this supposed temperature thing when I started cold crashing. I was still using carb drops at the time and the results were the same, so I just translated that to bulk priming. Then I saw this nonsense one day and thought WTF are they smoking? 😂

• Haha 2