Coopers Community

hydrometer seems to be wrong.

SunyJim

First let me start by saying the beer is turning out great, really fun to brew, great to drink. No exploding bottles working fine.

BUT

I have confirmed the marking on the fermenter for 23 liters is accurate, and that my Hydrometer is 1000 in regular water.

So this could be my brew calculator that was recommended on here a little while ago, and was fairly easy to use... http://www.brewcraft.com.au/wa.asp?idWebPage=9616&idDetails=172

or it could be the hydrometer that is wrong.

1.7kg can Coopers Heritage Lager

1.5kg Light malt

1044 calculator said it should have been 1047 in 23 liters

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale

1.5kg Thomas Coopers Light Malt Can

500g Light Dry Malt

300g Dextrose

1056 calculator said it should have been 1061 in 23 liters.

1 can of Coopers Lager 1.7kg

1 kg of brew enhancer 1 (600dex, 400 dried corn)

250g (LDM) Light dry malt powder

1040 calculator said it should have been 1047 in 23 liters.

Is it the calculator or the hydrometer?

I usually get a little bit lower OG and bit lower FG than the calculator says I should, but most of yours are close enough to regard as a pretty good estimate, as that is all the calculator does.

If your hydrometer is 1000 at the right temp in water, rely on that rather than a calculator.

[rightful] It may have been recommended by a member of the Brewers Guild but it's not recommended by Coopers [rightful]

Trust your hydrometer - make sure you have a homogenous mix and discard the first runnings from the tap. [wink]

• 2 weeks later...

There a spreadsheet on AHB that is useful for developing kit or extract recipes. It was put together by one of their members (Here's a direct link: Kit & Extract Spreadsheet)

It works on PC but is pretty screwy on Mac [pinched]

The spreadsheet is great. I use it to develop recipes to particular styles and for saving said recipes for later replication or tweaking.

I have found its calculations in regards to SG to be fairly accurate. So much so that I don't bother taking an OG, only FG

OK...I'm going to ask the question probably everyone on here that has followed your hydrometer/gravity/sudden stop at the floor problems is wanting to ask. How are you breaking them, is it the same each time? We may be able to come up with a solution besides the rubber flooring/mat mentioned in another thread.

Greg,

Sheer clumsiness, you see I am not what you would call a dainty type; as a matter of fact my wife often calls me names, such as OX, DICKHEAD and such profanities.

The rubber floor seems like a good idea, but a COOPERS PLASTIC HYDROMETER, would be cheaper and solve my problem.

By the way went back to the Big W again today, still no malt, hydrometers, bottle tops. But they did have 2 packets of BE2, which I don\u2019t want.

Don\u2019t forget boys to email the Big W and tell them how useless their stocking person is.

I spent a lot of time talking to staff at the same Big W you use Warren with very little luck. They have put some malt aside for me once but that took a lot of talking to a lot of different people who couldn't answer my questions (To their credit they did at least pretend to listen).

It may have been recommended by a member of the Brewers Guild but it's not recommended by Coopers

[roll] Just out of curiosity Paul, are there any of these type of thing, whether free or something you have to pay for, that Coopers would recommend?

Our National Sales Manager mentioned that one of the Big W DCs was knocked out by the floods. This probably goes part way to explaining some of the Big W stores' out-of-stock problems [annoyed]

are there any of these type of thing, whether free or something you have to pay for, that Coopers would recommend?

yet to see one that's up to the job, particularly with high gravity brews...

I find that calculator fairly innacurate but it is ok for ballpark figures.

There a spreadsheet on AHB that is useful for developing kit or extract recipes. It was put together by one of their members (Here's a direct link: Kit & Extract Spreadsheet)

It works on PC but is pretty screwy on Mac [pinched]

the reason it has issues on a mac is it has Macro's in the spread sheet

on a mac to get it working there are 3 ways

use Office 2004 or 2011 ( M$ removed macro's under 2008 however put it back in for 2011 after a number of complaints )

the other way is if you run Parallels or VM Fusion and just run it under windows copy of Excel [cool]

The version I have does have macros (must be 2004?) but it still doesn't work properly - can't save recipes etc.)

I did run parallels but it made the computer too sluggish so I'm back to boot camp now.

hmm I will get out my old Lappy ( I think it still has 2004 installed on it ) and see if I have the same issue.

I will try 2011 when i get a moment

how much ram do you have and what Mac as Parallels needs a bit + make sure you set it correct for windows as well I know it dose not run the best though with my iMac 20" core duo 2ghz with 2gb ram. runs well on my 17" lappy that is a core 2 duo 2.4ghz 2gb ram

Archived