Coopers Community

Tried my second brew last night

jennyss

1 hour ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Well said Muzzy, I agree about the malt. The Coopers Pale Ale was the second brew I ever did. Coming back from a holiday in Byron, drinking icy cold CPA from the tap every afternoon, and some nights as well, and continuing to do so back home ,not from the tap but can or longneck as somehow I didn't like the stubbies, my brew was so similar and good. It was an adventure so getting there. In the beginning I still dissolved the extracts in very hot water, bringing the temperature up too high, so I put my fermenter overnight on the veranda to cool (which worked). Still believing that the airlock has to bubble I added some extra dry bakers yeast. Still not bubbling I bottled the beer when FG was stable. Somehow it was so good and similar to the original that I never stopped brewing since. As I didn't keep records then I don't remember what I used. I did another batch later with extra dry malt extract which was good, but far from the original.

These days I only use hot water to dilute if I want my starting temperature a little bit higher as they dissolve in normal tap water. over summer the water had a constant temperature of 22-24 Celsius, in winter it drops to 18 Celsius. Now in summer I just put some water in the fridge and freezer to control the temperature of the wort.

I still love to see the airlock bubbling so

Interesting, I have only ever mixed boxes of BE 1/2/3 or LDME in cold water, I always add these first in the fermenter & mix well, I tried hot water once & there lumps but they don't really matter.

I add the cans of extract next after it has been sitting in the sink in hot water & always have a kettle of boiled water close by to help soften it, unless I need to bring the temperature up to the desired pitching temp, that is the only hot water I add. Of course if I am doing hop infusion there is a small amount to chuck in but I usually have cooled the cup/jug with the hops by immersing in cold water. This practice has always worked for me. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Interesting, I have only ever mixed boxes of BE 1/2/3 or LDME in cold water, I always add these first in the fermenter & mix well, I tried hot water once & there lumps but they don't really matter.

I add the cans of extract next after it has been sitting in the sink in hot water & always have a kettle of boiled water close by to help soften it, unless I need to bring the temperature up to the desired pitching temp, that is the only hot water I add. Of course if I am doing hop infusion there is a small amount to chuck in but I usually have cooled the cup/jug with the hops by immersing in cold water. This practice has always worked for me. 

My brew shop told me it’s not necessary to use hot water to dissolve the liquid extract and it works for me. Straight from the tap.

Saying that it never really gets cold here

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

My brew shop told me it’s not necessary to use hot water to dissolve the liquid extract and it works for me. Straight from the tap.

Saying that it never really gets cold here

Well each to their own but a little to loosen up at first then I fill the can continuously until it is clean with cold water.

• Like 2