Coopers Community

Dregs/Lees

Tom OKeefe

25 minutes ago, Tom OKeefe said:

When my beer was ready to drink, there was sediment in the bottom of the bottle. I have been careful not to disturb it when pouring, but I am wasting beer. Can I drink this or will it taint the taste of the beer?

I say it would depend on the type of brew, if it was a Pale Ale for example it should have some sediment but even that will vary depending on the recipe you followed. It won't hurt you but it will darken & make your drink cloudy, I would suggest try pouring carefully discarding the last bit & also trying it with it, problem is if you roll the bottle gently as you do with the commercial Coopers Pale Ale, you may not be able to pour it without issue. Try both & you will know.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tom OKeefe said:

When my beer was ready to drink, there was sediment in the bottom of the bottle. I have been careful not to disturb it when pouring, but I am wasting beer. Can I drink this or will it taint the taste of the beer?

That's not a problem. It's just yeast and little bits of debris dropping out during bottle fermentation. It's perfectly safe and in some beers like a Hefe Weizen, it is actually desired to be poured into the glass. It will make the beer a little more hazy and probably make you a bit more flatulent but it's all safe. If you can cold crash your beer, it will reduce the sediment in the fermentor and by extension in the bottles.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

That's not a problem. It's just yeast and little bits of debris dropping out during bottle fermentation. It's perfectly safe and in some beers like a Hefe Weizen, it is actually desired to be poured into the glass. It will make the beer a little more hazy and probably make you a bit more flatulent but it's all safe. If you can cold crash your beer, it will reduce the sediment in the fermentor and by extension in the bottles.

I have to agree with you there, some of the German/Bavarian beers I have bought at different Bottle Shops over the years have heaps of sediment, not detrimental to the drinking pleasure as you say but it gets a bit cloudy down there in the glass, all part of the ride.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 6:06 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have to agree with you there, some of the German/Bavarian beers I have bought at different Bottle Shops over the years have heaps of sediment, not detrimental to the drinking pleasure as you say but it gets a bit cloudy down there in the glass, all part of the ride.

On 2/18/2022 at 4:49 PM, Tom OKeefe said:

Hi Tom,

Sightly off topic but heres a tip for using the trub. Don't tip it down the drain. Pour it over your vege or herb garden diluted down with plenty of water. Plants love it.

• Like 1