Coopers Community

Aquarium cooler pump

aussiewasp

Hi all, my first post...

I have a Keg King conical fermenter. Heating is via heat belts, cooling via an internal coil with water pumped into an esky filled with iced water (rotating frozen icecream containers filled with water).

I am now replacing the ice rotation system with an aquarium chiller and aquarium pump. I have completed some pre tests and can get this new setup to chill water down to the same level as using the rotating ice blocks, around 15-13 degrees.

Has anyone run a system like this and if so are there any tips for new players?

For example I have an inkbird thermostat to switch cooling and heating and am trying to decide on whether to connect the chiller and pump to the thermostat or just run it constant.

Thanks in advance.

51 minutes ago, jpd1009 said:

Hi all, my first post...

I have a Keg King conical fermenter. Heating is via heat belts, cooling via an internal coil with water pumped into an esky filled with iced water (rotating frozen icecream containers filled with water).

I am now replacing the ice rotation system with an aquarium chiller and aquarium pump. I have completed some pre tests and can get this new setup to chill water down to the same level as using the rotating ice blocks, around 15-13 degrees.

For example I have an inkbird thermostat to switch cooling and heating and am trying to decide on whether to connect the chiller and pump to the thermostat or just run it constant.

Thanks in advance.

I would with type of set up connect everything to run via the Inkbird unless their is reason to operate the chiller and pump constantly.

5 hours ago, jpd1009 said:

Hi all, my first post...

Thanks in advance.

Hi JPD1009 and welcome to the Forum.

It is an interesting set-up you describe.  I have not heard of it before.  I agree with PJ above.  Hook it all up through the Inkbird.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jpd1009 said:

Hi all, my first post...

Thanks in advance.

Never heard of anyone doing that. I'm into fish keeping but only have a tropical tank which doesn't need the chiller. My mate has a 100 gallon reef tank which has one though. Pretty sure it chews the electricity in summer but that's cooling 100 gallons. I would have thought you would have had to cycle it on and off as it would chill lower that you wanted but interesting you say its 13 to 15. Remember that is water too and wort will make its own heat as well. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

I would with type of set up connect everything to run via the Inkbird unless their is reason to operate the chiller and pump constantly.

Thanks, it looks like the chiller will need to stay on, I have just played with turning the power off and on and it doesnt revert to on, although it does retain the temp. settings when you press the on button. I could run the separate pump through the inkbird and will play with that next.

13 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi JPD1009 and welcome to the Forum.

It is an interesting set-up you describe.  I have not heard of it before.  I agree with PJ above.  Hook it all up through the Inkbird.

Hi Shamus, I picked up on this through other forums when searching for cost effective chilling systems. The ice setup I have doesnt cut the mustard in the summer weather.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Never heard of anyone doing that. I'm into fish keeping but only have a tropical tank which doesn't need the chiller. My mate has a 100 gallon reef tank which has one though. Pretty sure it chews the electricity in summer but that's cooling 100 gallons. I would have thought you would have had to cycle it on and off as it would chill lower that you wanted but interesting you say its 13 to 15. Remember that is water too and wort will make its own heat as well. 

Thanks, search aquarium chiller and brewing and you will find quite a bit on it.

• Like 1