Coopers Community

im new have questions

fiik

hey guys another new brewer here with a few questions im on day 7 today and ive been told my brew should be bubbling it has some bubbles on top but cant see any rising out of the beer does this same strange and also is 26degrees to hot ? thx

Welcome aboard, depending on conditions (temps) and list of ingredients it probably should have finished fermenting by now. Did you use a hydromoter to get the starting gravity before throwing in the yeast?

If so what was it and what is it now?

Bubbling through the airlock would have subsided under normal conditions after a week but sometimes things are never normal for us hombrewers.

Hi and welcome.

Don't worry about the airlock, look for signs of fermentation as described in the FAQ's.

Rely on your hydrometer readings rather than any bubbling. You are ready to bottle when the hydrometer reading is stable over a couple of days. (preferably at an FG that is appropriate for the brew!)

Yes, 26 degrees is on the high side. You'll still get OK beer but it may take a while to mellow the funky flavours that may get thrown at that temp. Try for low 20's if you can.

Dont worry about the airlock, their a little hopeless really, the tiniest leak will render it useless.

Take a gravity reading with the hydrometer and if it is the same over 2 consecutive days it is ready to bottle.

Also 26C is a little warm, if possible try and keep it as close as possible to 21C

Matty

I've noticed in the 'trub' on my brews, that there are two layers. A thinner, darker bottom layer and a thicker, upper lighter layer. I assume the lighter layer is the yeast? If so, what is the darker layer? Is this sugars which I didn't mix thoroughly enough?

Muddy, Fiik might have the new DIY kit in which case he was born without an airlock [biggrin]

Just a quick personal question...Is Fiik your name or does it stand for something? I have used this acronym in the past when someone has asked me a difficult question [lol]

Muddy' date=' Fiik might have the new DIY kit in which case he was born without an airlock [biggrin']

The kids today! They get everything spoon fed to them. Soon "my airlock isn't bubbling should I tip the beer out?" will be a question some of us remember from the old days. At least we'll still have people telling about their latest "larger" for the forseeable future to get people biting [lol]

Archived