Coopers Community

Correlation between hops and ABV

Aussiekraut

To what extent do hops affect the alcohol content of beer?

I tweaked the lager recipe I made a while ago by adjusting the hop schedule. I removed the dry hops as they're a complete waste in a lager and dropped the hop stand addition, while slightly increasing a boil addition. The result is a slightly lower IBU of 27.4 vs 28.6 and an increased ABV of 4.9% vs 4.7%. The grain bill was untouched. How much do hops affect the alcohol content of the beer and why?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

To what extent do hops affect the alcohol content of beer?

I tweaked the lager recipe I made a while ago by adjusting the hop schedule. I removed the dry hops as they're a complete waste in a lager and dropped the hop stand addition, while slightly increasing a boil addition. The result is a slightly lower IBU of 27.4 vs 28.6 and an increased ABV of 4.9% vs 4.7%. The grain bill was untouched. How much do hops affect the alcohol content of the beer and why?

Was mash temp and yeast strain identical?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

How much do hops affect the alcohol content of the beer

They don't and can't

and why?

Because they are hops, green leafy material, no sugar, not fermentable..

increased ABV of 4.9% vs 4.7%.

How do you know this? Did you have the alcohol content tested by a lab? (not the dog kind).

Perhaps the specific gravity - if that is how you measured the alcohol - was affected but hop material/ oil/ sumting??

Edited by disgruntled
spallingk
  • Like 2

Ok, forget it. It wasn't the hops that did it. The original recipe used 1 pack S-189 and one pack dubbya but I changed it to 2 packs of dubbya and that is what changed the ABV content. Removing the S-189 increased ABV by 0.2%. However it didn't change the estimated FG. This is all estimates in Beersmith.

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 1