Coopers Community

Ginger Beer Recipe (Bundabergyish) "Non-Alco"

Cee

@DavidM as requested

"I am a novice so it definitely is do-able at our level"

Please Note: This version is not - in MY standards - "Non-alco," as it contains alcohol

However it is the "non-alco" version by title

This recipe carbonates (fizzes) the drink by kinda Bulk priming the brew instead of putting carb drops into every bottle. The result is verrrry minimal alcohol content resulting from fermentation. Test yourself for accuracy but expect under 0.5 % ABV

I have never tried to carbonate using alternative methods in order to attempt a 0% GB

OK so

1 x Morgans Tin Ginger Beer

1x Nutrient (Supplied with tin)

1x Yeast packet (Supplied with tin)

1x Cinnamon Stick (Some supermarkets, most markets)

18 grams of Ginger Root (Yep I mean the fresh stuff that looks like a demented bulb and costs as much as a new liver)

Half a Lemon - or rather, the "Guts" of half a lemon. Not the skin, pith, pips - just the guts of it

Sugar - ok well the tin says 115 gm White Sugar but instead try EITHER (not both) 125 grams LDM OR 125 grams brown suger. I read that 125gm raw sugar is also a good alternative. My tastes like the LDM best it really adds to the GB flavour

The Method is pretty straight forward for novice brewers

1. Add 2 L hot water (not boiling) to FV. Pour in the GB Tin and your sugar substitute (LDM), stir to dissolve

2. Add cold water up to the 18 Litre mark, stirring (sounds familiar)

3. Add the Gingermix Tea (see below), stirring

4. Top up water to 20 Litres

5. Sprinkle in Nutrient packet, stirring

6. Sprinkle in Yeast packet, stirring

7. Cover FV (no need for Krausen collar) and let it stand for 30 minutes

8. Prep bottles but - DO NOT ad carb drops. The sugar (LDM) in the brew will fizz it up enough

9. Stir brew, fill bottles as normal

10. Leave sit for 2 weeks for the bottles to condition

GINGERMIX TEA

Ok so this is just like one of the methods for adding hops to beers, and I do not think it is above Novice Level

The word here is, "Steep." We will Steep the ingredients into water to add as a kinda, "tea." So like a teabag, we want to have the ingredients sitting in water JUST BELOW boiling for a prescribed amount of time, to extract flavours and aromas

So to make this GingermixTea

1. Dice/shred the ginger root, break the cinnamon stick in two, gut the half lemon and put all this into a bowl

2. Bring 1 Litre of water to the boil in a pan, let it boil for a few minutes

3. Turn the boil down to "just under" boiling and add the ingredients into the water

4. Steep for an hour (That is what my notes say I did - I dunno if an entire hour is necessary)

5. Mash with a potato masher, strain out the bits, and add the, "Tea" into the FV before adding Yeast and Nutrients

I reckon some tweaks could be to add some chilli, extra cinnamon, more or less ginger root, alternative sugars, or whatever seems like it could work for you

Lots of GB recipes around. After making one, I reckon it is much easier to kinda figure out how to tweak it to your own tastes than even beers are, and it is great practise for the beers too. This one has been requested for me to make more than my beers 😶

Let us know if it works out for you or if you have any suggestions to improve it 🙂

Cheers 👍

On 12/24/2021 at 3:37 PM, DavidM said:

Thank You, very detailed and I will be on it soon 🙂

No worries, mate @DavidM

Detailed - well it was one of my better Cognition Days 🙂 

Yep I have a couple of beers I wanna get done, and I want to try a cider for a non-beery mate, and then I need to do another GB.

I have an old tin I will risk to open and see how it goes 🤨

• Like 1