Coopers Community

Pineapple and coconut lager

I'm thinking about making a lager with pineapple and coconut flavours in it. So to speak a "Pina CoLager".

The basis would be an Aussie style lager with pale and pilsener malts and hopped with PoR and SuperPride. I'd like to infuse this with said flavours but am not sure about how to best tackle this. Ideal would be fresh coconut and pineapple but even at the fruit and veg markets, fresh coconut is hard to come by. Desiccated coconut should do the trick but should it be ok but if toasted, it changes the flavour away from where I want it to be and un-toasted, I don't trust it to not bring nasties into the beer. How about the pineapple? Fresh or tinned? Juice maybe?

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome. 

I think I can sort the pineapple issue by using a hefty dose of BRU-1 hops for a decent steep and dry hop. This might give me the flavours I need. Pineapple does affect head retention big time, due to the bromelain they contain. With the coconut, maybe I will toast it after all as it will intensify the coconut, although won't have the fresh taste. 

If anybody has a better idea, i'm all ears 🙂 

Edited by Aussiekraut

I recently made a pina colada sour. The additions I made were about 50g per litre of coconut flakes (Woolworths Macro brand - I toasted mainly to try and remove oil/fat) and  100g per litre of crushed pineapple (Dole brand from memory).

I was really pleased with how this turned out. Was definitely like pina colada. It was a toasted coconut flavour though. I liked that but it may not be what you are after if you want fresh tasting coconut.

Maybe Sabro somehow? I got big coconut from that with whirlpool and big dry hop.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Popo said:

I recently made a pina colada sour. The additions I made were about 50g per litre of coconut flakes (Woolworths Macro brand - I toasted mainly to try and remove oil/fat) and  100g per litre of crushed pineapple (Dole brand from memory).

I was really pleased with how this turned out. Was definitely like pina colada. It was a toasted coconut flavour though. I liked that but it may not be what you are after if you want fresh tasting coconut.

Maybe Sabro somehow? I got big coconut from that with whirlpool and big dry hop.

Yeah, Sabro might do but it'll also bring in citrus flavours, which I try to avoid a little. I may opt for the coconut flakes. Will go shopping on Saturday anyway, so I will see what I can find. I don't want it to be full on, just noticeable coconut and pineapple flavours. I still want it to taste like beer 🙂 I know it is a little late for a summer beer but it should be finished in January, when it is still nice and hot.

Pina colager. Love it. 
Could you use coconut water? Maybe boil it before adding to the FV. It’s low in fat so shouldn’t have too bad an effect on head retention. It does have a small amount of sugar which will ferment out but hopefully leave some coconut flavour behind…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terminal2k said:

the boss used to get drinking coconuts at the supermarket or fruit and veg places and she'd eat the coconut flesh out of those. Don't know if it's a seasonal thing or if they're available year round.

I keep looking but haven't seen any lately. Cos that'd be the best. Fresh coconut flesh.

38 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Pina colager. Love it. 
Could you use coconut water? Maybe boil it before adding to the FV. It’s low in fat so shouldn’t have too bad an effect on head retention. It does have a small amount of sugar which will ferment out but hopefully leave some coconut flavour behind…

Yeah, might work. Gotta have a look at it.