Coopers Community

And Another Newbie!

Duffman

Hello all, I also received a Cooper's kit on Christmas from my girlfriend, bless her. I'm now on my 4th day of fermenting the IPA India Pale Ale and will be bottling soon so I have some questions.

From what I've been reading here, did I understand correct that this IPA when following the LDM 500g and Dextrose 300g recipe that the outcome is only around 4%-5% alcohol level?

I was wondering, all I have is some extra Dextrose laying around. Is there any way to add some in the fermenter to up the % levels, or is not worth the risk or ruining flavor/contaminating, etc.?

I'm also located in the States and went to the only not so local brew shop to get some sanitizer and bottles. They had no plastic so I came out with 36 glass 22oz (650ml) bottles. Is it safe to use 2 carb drops in 650ml glass bottles? They are intended for 750ml so I don't want to make bombs.

And lastly, I bought some Iodophor sanitizer. The bottles are new, so would just soaking them for 2 minutes in a 12.5ppm solution be enough for this first batch?

Well I think that's a long enough first post heheh. I'm really enjoying this kit, I always wanted to brew beer but didn't think it could be easy (which it's not tooo easy either!).

Thanks,

Miche

Hi Miche - I'm not really sure about adding dextrose to up the alcohol as I've never tried it. I think it would work but I don't know what the negatives would be - wait and see if PB2 has anything to say about it.

You don't need to soak your bottles in iodophor you only need to get them wet. We use metric so what I do is mix 1ml Per litre - I usually make up 1-2 litres only. I have a bottle washer which sprays water in the bottle which makes it easy but all you need to do is put enough solution in the bottle so that you can shake it and get some contact with all the surface. You can them immediately set them to drain (of course with a minimum of 2 mins waiting time before using them).

I think its perfectly safe to use 2 carb drops for 650ml bottles. I have tested 2 drops with 500ml bottles and it did not pop the glass.

as for sanitizer - check five star "starsan" - really nice no rinse sanitizer, made in US so should be no problem for you to get it. I sorta really like it, takes only 30 sec of contact to sanitize, does not affect taste or head retention if made stronger, usually 1/4 gallon of ready solution is enough to sanitize everything for one brewing or bottling batch, does not color equipment, reasonably safe on skin, on break down becomes yeast supplement (or so they claim). so far I'm really happy cause its real time saver on sanitizing.

Tho keep in mind, it only sanitizes stuff, you still gotta scrub it clean.

You could add dextrose by dissolving it in a cup of hot water first, then gently pour into the brew. Adding it in dry form may produce an instant foaming volcano [pinched]

Adding more simple sugar may make the brew a bit thin. Maybe leave this one as is and look to do the Authentic IPA recipe next time.

2 carbo drops per 650ml will see the priming rate at about 10g per litre - way too high for the style. Can you measure out 3/4 teaspoon of sugar per 650ml bottle or get yourself another container and bulk prime...

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

I had seen that Authentic IPA recipe and figured I would try it for my 3rd brew (since I still have the original Lager from the kit). No big deal, I don't want to ruin this batch to add a bit of alcohol.

Regarding the carb drops, would the method to cut them in half and use 1.5 carb drops be closer to that ammount? I'm guessing 1 drop is not enough while 2 is too much.

Activity seems to have stopped in the fermenter, and I'll hopefully be bottling this weekend if I get consistent FG readings today and tomorrow.

Thanks again for the replies, much appreciated! [happy]

Miche

This being my first brew ever, I'm not too familiar with bulk priming. I'll read up over the weekend for sure.

I have some of the Cooper's Brewing Sugar and some Dextrose left over. Would either of these work for that?

Dextrose is my weapon of choice when bulk priming. I tend to use 8g per litre for an average beer (maybe 6g for stouts or beers that call for lower carbonation. I just add my dextrose to 1-2 cups of water and boil it for a couple of minutes in a smal saucepan. I then add this solution to a clean empty fermentor. Next I attach a length of food grade hose to the the tap of the fermentor with the beer in it (which I have sitting up high on a bench) and then attach the other end of the hose to the tap on the fermentor with the sugar solution in it (which I have sitting down at or near floor level). I then drain the beer into the vessel with the sugar solution in it which will mix nicely by itself. I then bottle from this fermentor into any size bottle. The sugar is already mixed with the beer so you get even carbonation no matter what size bottle you use.

I hope that all made sense?? Let me know if you have any questions.

Wow that makes it seem a lot simpler than I thought heheh, thanks!

If I understand the measurement... if I have it at 23 liters right now that would mean I would boil 184g of Dextrose in 1-2 cups water?

Only problem I have is that I don't have another fermenter as this is my first kit. Sounds like to get an even mix it needs to definitely be transfered huh?

I don't really have access to a close brew shop, any ideas?

Thanks again for all the help!

Miche

I've never tried it but you could gently stir the sugar solution into your primary fermentor. The downside is that the sediment is still in there and may get stirred up. One of the major benefits of transferring is that you leave most of the sediment behind.

You don't have to be too perfect with your measurements - I just use 180g for a 23L batch to make things simpler.

I should point out that this is the measurement that suits me. Some people say to use 9g per litre for dextrose and 8g for white sugar. My local home brew shop guy suggests 6g per litre but I think this is more suited to stouts or English ales.

Can I let it sit for a day after I gently stir in the Dextrose? Or do I have to bottle it immediately?

I had also thought about boiling it in 2 1/4 cups of which divides into 36 tablespoons. That's the amount of 650ml bottles I have. Can I drop a tablespoon of the liquid in the bottles before filling?

I'll try your measurement and just see how I like it [biggrin]

No - don't leave it a day with the sugar solution in it - maybe a 1/2 hr or so.

I can't see why adding a tablespoon of solution to each bottle wouldn't work. I've heard of people using syringes to do a similar thing.

Alternatively you could work how much dry sugar (easier to work with then dex when adding it dry IMO) you need for each bottle and add it dry - about 5.2g if my brain is working properly. You might find the amount you need fits on a teaspoon or something which will make it easy to measure out.

Hey Muddy! I'm getting used to this time difference heheh

By dry sugar do you mean Brewing Sugar? I have some from the original lager kit I could measure out, or as you said just try the tablespoon liquid method with the Dextrose.

I just checked my FG and it's been 1.016 for 3 days, I think I read the hydrometer wrong on my OG which I though was 1.056 but now I'm pretty sure it's 1.046.

Plugging it into an ABV calculator with temperature correction it's at %4.1 which sounds about right for this recipe.

I'll probably bottle it up tomorrow and figure out which method to use if by dry sugar you mean I can use Brewing Sugar.

Thanks again for all the help, you really put my mind at ease![happy]

Muddy is right about the Idophor. What i do is put the water Idophor in a 1 L spray bottle spray a small amount say 1-2 teaspoons into the bottle, replace the cap give the bottle as good shake and leave the mixture in the bottle untill i'm ready to drain the whole 30 bottles.

Waren

Hey Duffman,

how\u2019s the weather over there, gets pretty hot in Florida? If you are using new PET bottles you don\u2019t need to sanitise then first up. When you empty a bottle don\u2019t leave it sitting around too long, just place say inch of warm to hot water in the bottle place you thumb over it and give it a good shake repeat then say 1/2 fill and give it a good rinse out. Replace the cap (that had been washed also) and store until you get enough for the next batch then sanitise them all at once.

Warren

Archived