Coopers Community

Raw Barley

Got a couple of recipes that call for some raw barley.  Can I use this pearl barley from Woolworths or get it from a health food shop?

What do you brew wizards use when raw barley is required?  Yeah I know the answer - raw barley ha ha😜

I don't see it on any supplier grain bills etc. so just wondering if that Mckenzie dried pearl barley will do the trick.

Pearl Barley.PNG

Yes Hairy unmalted.  The recipe just shows it as part of the grist.  About 500 g in with 4 kg of MO and 200 g wheat malt so I presume it would just get milled and mashed along with all the other grains.  No mention of a cereal mash so just presuming.

Thanks.

Good luck with the lock down too bloke, hope it gets under control up your way.☣️

Edited by iBooz2

12 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah I had the same problem a couple of years ago. The solution was at a produce store. Worked a treat. You need to cereal mash it though.

https://www.petandgarden.com.au/poultry-scratch-mix/130-barley-whole-grain-jm.html?search_query=Barley&results=4

Thanks for the link Greeny.  I was at Woolies earlier tonight and bought a couple of bags of the pearl barley for a closer look and the husks have been removed for this product so it will now end up in some soups ha ha.  

Will sneak down to the local pet place where we buy all our parrot food and see what they have.  I presume if it is good enough for chook food them it will not have anything sprayed on it.

6 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Thanks for the link Greeny.  I was at Woolies earlier tonight and bought a couple of bags of the pearl barley for a closer look and the husks have been removed for this product so it will now end up in some soups ha ha.  

Will sneak down to the local pet place where we buy all our parrot food and see what they have.  I presume if it is good enough for chook food them it will not have anything sprayed on it.

I have used raw wheat, barley and corn from there and I'm still alive 😆

Sometimes you get a rogue seed in there. One time my wheat had some sorghum seeds mixed in but not enough to worry about.