Coopers Community

Choc Almond Milk Stout - 4 Questions (to start)

So I have a bottle of Choc Almond toast spread that I am planning to make a Choc Almond Milk Stout with.

Four Questions I have so far for opinions/discussion:

1) Do you think an Irish Stout or the Devils Half Ruby Porter would be a better base? Dark Ale?

2) Which Yeast? I am leaning towards S04, but S05 and Nottingham are contenders, any other recommendations?

3) How many packets: Was thinking of just one 11g sachet, but maybe adding in the can sachet as well, or a second S04.

4) Lactose. Considering using 200g, what are the opinions: too much, too little or about right?

86DA0BC5-7DF7-41F4-98A7-41F5499509D9.png

F7C767A0-29D2-4612-9B97-EC8AED50FF73.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pilotsh said:

So I have a bottle of Choc Almond toast spread that I am planning to make a Choc Almond Milk Stout with.

Four Questions I have so far for opinions/discussion:

1) Do you think an Irish Stout or the Devils Half Ruby Porter would be a better base? Dark Ale?

2) Which Yeast? I am leaning towards S04, but S05 and Nottingham are contenders, any other recommendations?

3) How many packets: Was thinking of just one 11g sachet, but maybe adding in the can sachet as well, or a second S04.

4) Lactose. Considering using 200g, what are the opinions: too much, too little or about right?

1. Irish Stout - Otherwise you are making a Choc Almond Milk Porter or a Choc Almond Milk Dark Ale
  2. Nottingham - I find it reliable
  3. 2 Packets of Nott or 1 of Nott + Kit yeast
  4. 200g seems just a shade low compared to other Coopers recipes, maybe up to 300g

Just my views.  Does not mean I am right.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, alilley said:

I assume by toast spread you mean similar to nutella?

Yes, as attached.

Lots of “yummy sugars” in the ingredients, and may also add some hazelnuts or almonds and cocoa to the mash or steep.

Quite high in almonds already, as per 32g of product is only has 5g sugars.

You can see the separated oil on top, not sure yet to pour it off or freeze it and scoop it out. 

E4C40810-D298-46EA-8D3E-F11877A0F060.jpeg

B5ADC288-CE4C-4D03-8C38-2F43E33A9BD6.jpeg