Coopers Community

Stain in fermenter and bottles.

Jnr

Hi. Been brewing for a little while now and am just wondering if the brown stain in the fermenter and stain in the bottles which is left even after rinsing effects the taste or can infect the brew.  Am going too soak bottles in napi san too hopefully remove the stain anyway but just wondering if it does effect the taste. Thanks.

if your talking about the stain from the krausen in fermenter usually mine comes off after washing and scrubbing with soft cloth if yours is from prolonged use try a good bleach soaking. But remember to rinse properly before brewing again.

Cant remember ever having stain in bottles as I immediately rinse in warm water 3 times after empty each bottle but don't any of this would effect final product as long as everything sanitized

I think it does affect the subsequent beers - if the FV's have been sitting a few days, go lift the lid and have a smell - that should be enough to show it can alter your beer.

I had a 2nd hand FV that was stained when I got it - normal cleaning didn't change it but after a while I did the below method and it looks brand new.

Best is sodium percarbonate - use hot tap water & maybe 1 tablespoon sod perc. Pretty sure the unscented napisan is sod perc so that should be good. Soak overnight and the FV's will be brand new.

Might as well chuck your bottles in there as well and then empty the FV's into the sink and stick the rest of your bottles in there to soak as well.

Rinse well then sanitise.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 2